cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

Highlighted

Re: We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

until someone else address your need can you use the modems default wed page it too has a use meter? "192.168.0.1 a common network setting"
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I'm not a programmer, but seems like it wouldn't be that difficult for a real one to cross-compile the code they already have, especially if it is C++ or Fortran. 
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

OK then, thanks.

My programming experience dates back 30 years ago to some BASIC and dBASE IV so I'm pretty out of touch. Still seems like wouldn't be a major project for a decent programmer to work off what they already have.  If Hughes even let him/her spend 10 minutes a week on it there would already be a Linux version.

Maybe no in-house programmers, everything is outsourced. 
Highlighted
Sophomore

My son informs me that the existing status meter ran just fine using Wine on Linux.

I'm sure this is an this idea is repulsive for Linux purists.Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Thanks foxbrook, no purist here, that is good info. Wine is one reason I'm even considering moving to Linux, want to be able to run Windows software when I want/need to.

Jezra, are you basically saying it is a matter of entering "Linux" and clicking the mouse to compile a Linux version?
Highlighted

Unfortunately the problem with developing anything for Linux is that Linux isn't just one operating system.  It's a whole slew of operating systems, each one with minor and major differences, so a program written for one version wouldn't necessarily work on another.

For example: I'm using Linux Mint with Cinnamon - Cinnamon being the GUI interface.  I used to use Linux MInt with Mate but had issues with the Bluetooth drivers.  I tried switching to Cinnamon to see if it would solve the issue and liked it much better - for the most part.  There are still some things I miss from Mate.

Zoneminder, the multi camera security system we use, runs on Linux and is currently not too difficult to run on Mint, but I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to get it to work (and keep working) on various versions of Linux in the past.

The majority of Linux Distros are based on Ubuntu or Debain if the meter was written to run via the Kernel wouldn't it be fairly easy to run on most all Distros? 
Highlighted

Maybe it is time for all us old timers who use to write in BASIC (myself it was QBASIC) should put our brains together and come up with something on our own.  I mean that would be a lot of fun if nothing else.  I still think Python could be used to develop something that would serve the same function as the status meter.
Highlighted

I have been using Linux for a couple years now. What I have discovered is the the operating system must match up to the hardware you are using. I have installed many versions of Linux. I have found that linux mint KDE works well with most hardware. No issues. 
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

FYI:
The Download Status Meter seems to run well on Mint 17.3 under Wine.