Hughesnet Community

We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

I for one am going to pass on Win10 and the clock is ticking for Win7.
Linux Mint runs very well on my laptop but it would be nice to have a Linux compatible version of the Download Status Meter.

99 REPLIES 99
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Which is why I said "beverage" rather than coffee 🙂
Pawnee County

Beverage,  Oh!!! I see a beer coosie.  LOL 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I see the makings of a Party !
Pawnee County

Heck yea just one problem we all live far far away from each other so not practical but I'll drink a Beer in honor of Jezra's status meter anyway.
Amanda

Hi jezra

You're probably wondering where I have been! Well, after hearing that we're looking on the bright side of the status meter, you created your own and I can't say I don't mind. This time of the year is very busy for developers as you can imagine why (think rockets, space, etc) so picture me trying to walk up the hill against the wind here. 

I have placed your status meter in the hands of our most senior product manager for now. I hope to have some insight on what they think about all of this very soon. I am trying to convince Liz to not send you another mug, but she's really set on it.

Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I vote send the Mug. There is always room for one more !

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Bit of the snark going there Jezra but I get what you're saying. The SPM should be a bit embarrassed you did in just over a month what they pretty much refused to do.

So much for the mug.  : )

Curious, care to share how many hours you have invested in it?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wrong choice of word, maybe being honest or telling it like it is a better description.

So, if they let a developer on their end spend just 30 minutes a week on a similar meter it would have taken them 12-16 weeks. I think a Linux meter has been requested much longer ago than that. In other threads in passing maybe, but has been requested for quite some time. 

While we're at it they really should have an Android version by now. Sorry, I love our Android smart phones and tablets.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Only two official versions (Windows and OSX) does seem to be behind the times. This coming from an old fart.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Jezra,
In the. "Way back when" Hughes had data limits ... and no meter of any kind. A user just had to "take it on faith" that Hughes was giving them the Real Deal.
It was actualy rougher than that because refills were done as an hourly drip.
Phone support at that time was out of India ...,nuff said.

Dbirdman (Don Bradner) spent countless hours digging into the guts of the Hughes modems and learning the unpublished "rules" of how data was deducted, how hourly refill was applied. Without one iota of help from Hughes.

Don "stopped" when spot beam stuff came out. Old and tired as they say.
You to be commended for your efforts.
In spades !

You steppedup to the plate and filled a gap that has needed filling for years.

I Thank You, and then some.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ok, now you done it. Have 2 Nexus 7 tablets, if this works you deserve more than a mug. Can't try it tonight but will report back tomorrow hopefully. If this also works on my Android phone I'll be one happy camper.

Why, oh why, won't they provide an official Linux/Android/EverythingElse meter?

I know there are some other third party apps on GooglePlay but think I'll go with the Jezra edition if all works fine.  : )
ecoalex2
Tutor

Hi, 6 years with Gen4 9 years with Linux, settled on Mint 5 years ago.
I simply use the modem link, and get a usage graph immediately. I don't wish to clutter up my display.Just say'n 😉

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

To each his own, I like the Status Meter, don't have to open the browser to check usage. Again, whatever floats your boat.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

SCC is going to read to the nearest .100 GB and therefor will have "rounding errors".

But I agree, to each his own.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sweet! Working on my Android phone. I like that is shows the data remaining using numbers instead of a percentage. Nice work Jezra!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

jezra,

Just installed and tried it on my Dell with Linux Mint.  It works very well.  The only thing I couldn't do was close the application.  It wouldn't exit.  There's probably a "control-alt-delete" type thing in Mint in which I could have closed it, but I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of Mint, nor Linux, for that matter.  With that said, closing it isn't nearly as important as it working, as I would want it running for a quick data check when I'm online anyway, and it definitely works.  Thanks for this, jezra.  In addition to myself, I'm sure I can say this for others...thanks for taking the time to do this.  You didn't have to do it, but you did it, anyway.  Thanks again.