cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

That's good.  At least it will immediately let someone know why their internet is not performing very well.  Of course, getting people to actually use the status meter and look at it...that's another story.  The people who don't pay attention to their usage are the ones that wouldn't see the warning when they get it, anyway.  LOL.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks Knerkin, good to know ... it does however beg the question .... what have  you been doing with all your data ?  Smiley Happy

GabeU: Remember AOL's "You've got mail!"?  HughesNet could have a "You've been FAPped!"

Remember?  Heck, I wish I could forget it.  I still have to hear it every time I go to my folks' house and my stepfather is on the computer.  He hangs onto that AOL and dialup like it's gold or something.  I'm bringing his laptop over here once every two weeks just to update it.  LOL.

"You've Been Fapped!"  I love it!  You could get that lady from "The Weakest Link" to voice it.  "You have been fapped.  Goodbye!" 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

AOL has a tattoo on my brain. In the mid 80s,  I was a BBS heavy. One day at the office, a colleague hollered at me "Some guy named Steve Case from  Quantum Computers wants to talk with you. Turns out a bunch of us BBS folk were being solicited to do testing of a new service called PC-Link. Was fun for a while, but there were severe ethical differences between the gang in charge and a couple of us who wanted to sell testing utilities to the beta team.  I left, bloodied. That was the precursor of AOL. My timing has never been that good <g>. 

Did you see what was coming and invest in AOL?  I remember when I first moved to Northern Virginia and a friend of mine who was into stocks talked about AOL and how it was going to be a big thing.  Well, to make a long story short, a lot of us felt like kicking ourselves for not listening to him.  I've never been so close to having an opportunity to invest in something when it wasn't mind bogglingly huge yet, but which eventually became so.  Not now, of course, but it certainly was for a time.  Ugh! 

Associate Professor

Hey Knerican

I was one of the BBS guys I ran a point using ppoint I got that PC-Link call as well.  At that time all of us gun-hoo DOS folks were fighting Windows and Internet we thought DOS BASIC and a good BBS Network was the only way to go.  Dang we were dumb way back then. 
Assistant Professor

Lol...."Knerican", hey Jerza what's up? Call me BawgGird. Sorry, NeePaw Touncty just having fun.

GabeU: That's what I meant about my timing. No, not a single penny invested. None of us thought the place would ever amount to much. But, when you throw enough money at something!

Pawnee County: I was Frankly Curt out of Newport, RI, node 6 in RIME.  At the time, I was doing research into reusable code for large defense projects and was introduced to ARPANET and its e-mail network. None of us ever used the phone, e-mail being so much less intrusive. I still, 30 years later, can't tolerate the phone's ringing, demanding priority. And, yes, command line worked first time, every time!