Hughesnet Community

We want out of our Hughtes Net contract without any fees or charges! They did not deliver!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judis2013

We want out of our Hughtes Net contract without any fees or charges! They did not deliver!

When we spoke to HN's sales rep we told him we are home all day, we have 2 smart TV's, 2 laptops, 2 cell phones and 2 iPads.  The rep asked if we stream movies and we said no but we do play games and watch some you tube videos.  He told us the basic plan should be more than adequate.

It is NOT! We are routinely without connection, have timed out connections or, at best, run extremely slow. 

We signed up in April and have had probelms ever since.  A tech came by once and adjusted the satellite dish and told us we should have bought a router from the tech who set up the system. (The tech who set up the system told us to buy a router at Walmart or a local store). The router this tech wanted to sell us was an N300 while the one we have is an N600 which should be better.

Then, after the first few calls we were told they would "give us some data tokens" to see if that would help the problem.  It didn't.

The last 2 times I called about slow or no connection I was told we are using too much data.  I said we are probably using quite a bit because we spend a lot of our time waiting for sites to come up only to have them time out!

Everytime we call we have to carry the laptop over to the wall, climb over our treadmill, get on the floor to disconnet the cable from the router and plug it directly into the laptop.  I'm 67 and this is not an easy task.

This last time the Acct. Mgr. said that we could save data usage by UNPLUGGING our smart TV's. (We are home all day so our TV is on most of the time). But I said that to plug and unplug the TV was not a practical suggestion because again, we would be crawling over furniture and on the floor, and you want us to do that regularly.  She says if we don't WANT to do it that is our descretion!  She was very rude, continued to interrupt me, and refused to admit this was NOT a practical solution.

So, here we are, 6 months later and still paying for service that we were promised but we are NOT receiving.  I want out of our contract without early termination fees because we have never been provided with the service that was promised and we are completely without service frequently!
3 REPLIES 3
Amanda

Hi judis2013

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I understand this is probably a very frustrating experience, since it has been going on for  few months now. Satellite internet is unfortunately not a supplement for regular television services also referred to as  "cord cutting", which many people are doing now a days. This is especially true because of your current location, where we only provide Connect and Connect Pro. You'd be able to do some light streaming during the month, but definitely not enough to cover an American family's worth of television consumption a month (avg American watches a bit less than 5 hours of tv per day)

This might work since you said you don't watch movies - but what about TV shows? YouTube videos can add up eventually too, especially if you are on a lower plan like the Connect at 5GB/month. Since you play games, did you let the rep know if you were playing them online or not? As well, games can prove to have extremely large updates and patches which will eat up your data if not done during the bonus hours. 

With that said, we do know if those are the only two plans available then our sales groups should not say this is acceptable for "heavy" streaming or anyone who would says they would use it for downloading large amounts of data per month. I see from your account that you ordered directly from your dealer, so it is up to them to record the phone call. I'll check in with them and see if it is still available since it has been quite a while since you ordered service.

I appreciate your patience and do recommend looking around or getting some tips from our other customers here on how to conserve data best.

Thanks,
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Smart TV's can use data you are unaware of when turned on if connected to the internet. This is above what is being used if using the smart online features, they are just like another computer connected. Things like firmware (the OS) and app updates can be downloaded without even knowing it is happening.
anniebouscal
Freshman

I am amazed at the number of people who accept a salesperson's word for anything. When one signs a contract without a trial then you get what the contract stats, not what the salesperson promised. If a vendor will not provide the service for a test period run away as fast as you can. We are each responsible to the contracts we sign.
On the other hand as a Hughes customer for many years, I know their service sucks, from a consistency perspective. However my only choices at this time are Wild Blue or Hughes. Having switched from WB to Hughes a few years ago my experience is they are equally bad, but what's a guy to do, so we suffer through the slow times. Our choice, as we have satisfied our time and drop them any time, but there is nowhere else to go.