Web Acceleration Down, can't change, slow speeds, RTT errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thirdstonestudi
Freshman

Web Acceleration Down, can't change, slow speeds, RTT errors

Hello - Our speeds have been slower than usual lately, and they're usually slow. Pages not loading, can't connect to websites, card payments not going through because transactions timeout, emails not going through, etc. Forget streaming video or audio or even watching a 30 second video clip or viewing a gif. 

I'll add a screenshot of the status homepage - it says Web Acceleration Down by Configuration, I thought that might be part of the problem so I searched that there was a way to change it by going into options, but no matter how many times I click to turn Web Acceleration on, it does not stay on. I don't even think it turns on at all. I've clicked the reset MBX button below, and rebooted too, nothing changes.

I poked around in the Diagnostics tab under Hourly History and Current Hour History and there are some errors marked by red Xs next to RTT also. I checked that tab a few weeks ago when I first noticed the web acceleration issue appearing in the status and didn't see red Xs at the time. I have no idea what this means, but thought it might be relevant in some way.hughesnet status.jpg

I am hoping this is something either I can do something about easily or something that tech support can diagnose and repair remotely. I'm not a tech person and it's frustrating to realize I may have to learn way more than I ever intended to about this to keep our service going. We signed up for HughesNet @10 years ago after coming from a location with broadband via a local utility company and didn't realize it could be so DIY. I've emailed customer service about this and other issues and they do not repond. 

Thank you! 

7 REPLIES 7
Damian

@2thirdstonestudi,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear you have experienced these issues and that you haven't received a response from customer support yet. I definitely want to begin running diagnostics so that I can do the correct steps to repair this issue. I really appreciate you doing what you could from your end. That helps rule out some of the issues that could be causing these errors. Please give me some time to diagnose and troubleshoot. I will do everything I can remotely. Once I have finished, I will post any updates I have in this thread. 

-Damian 

Thank you!

@thirdstonestudi,

Thank you for your patience while I was working on this issue. I ran your modem through a series of troubleshooting steps. I was able to figure out that your issues are connected and not separate instances. This issue also appears to solely be a configuration issue. I was, unfortunately, unable to troubleshoot any further remotely. This is due to the fact that you are on an older generation of service in which there are some limitations to what I can do remotely. This would essentially require this issue to be escalated to our advanced technical support team. If you would like to take this step next, I can create an internal case to assist the representative you will ultimately speak with. This will detail the steps I took and inform them of your current issue as well as the next steps to take.  

The only other option outside of this would be upgrading to Gen 5. This consolidates your modem and router into one, via the HT2000W modem, and ultimately fixes the issue. The configuration would be reset automatically with the new modem since it has to go through the initialization process. This is similar to what our advanced technical support team may be able to do, provided there are no other underlying issues. Please let me know what you would like to do next.  

-Damian 

@thirdstonestudi,

I have new information for you that may help with your decision. As you may have heard through email or by speaking with our phone reps, the Spaceway satellite will no longer be available soon. This means that your current generation of service will eventually stop working altogether, and would require you to upgrade anyway. The good news is that there are no upfront costs associated with upgrading to Gen 5. There are many benefits to upgrading such as better speed and efficiency. The main benefit in this situation would be this issue being fixed automatically without any need for an escalated case.  

-Damian 

Thanks, Damian - When will the Spaceway satellite service stop working? We didn't get a notice of any kind so had no idea. I know that an upgrade to Gen5 would mean a new modem with built in router, would a new dish also be required? Would they ship us the modem? Can you use a separate router with the new Gen5 modem if you want to for greater reach and more devices? Pros and cons of using an additional router?

I know you said there are no upfront costs for upgrading, we also wouldn't want to go under contract for two years, I hope they would waive that. Another thing I've noticed is the data plan we were under no longer exists but they still have us on that plan at the same price as another current plan but the current plan offers more data. We keep running out and having to buy data tokens and we don't stream television. Could equipment issues burn data up?

I haven't spoken with anyone yet, was too busy these past few days getting ready for a snowstorm to get back to the message board. Sorry for the delay in reply and thanks again for helping!

To add, we just bought a Linksys AX6000 to replace our existing router because we've had it a while. Have not hooked it up yet, wondering if it would be a benefit to use it with the new Gen5 modem. We don't want to worry about having too many devices online at once and also need to get as much reach with the wifi signal as possible. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@thirdstonestudi wrote:

To add, we just bought a Linksys AX6000 to replace our existing router because we've had it a while. Have not hooked it up yet, wondering if it would be a benefit to use it with the new Gen5 modem. We don't want to worry about having too many devices online at once and also need to get as much reach with the wifi signal as possible. 

You can use that router with the new service, and one like that is almost assuredly better than what's built into the HT2000W modem, both range wise and with its settings options.  You'd just have to make sure to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W so it wouldn't interfere with the signal from the Linksys, but it's fairly easy to do.