cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Acceleration Not Supported, SLOW speeds when downloading games

Th3LUG
Freshman

Web Acceleration Not Supported, SLOW speeds when downloading games

So like a few other posts I have the Web Acceleration Not Supported on my status page. I am under FAP right now, and usually when I download games on Steam on my PC during FAP I can get between 200 and 300 KBs, but now it varies from 1-150 KBs, and bounces back and fourth very badly. I thought it was the weather, but when I got some tokens to restore speed, my speed was still slow, about 1-3 MBs when it used to be 2-5 MBs. This started when the Web Acceleration Not Supported happened. Can Hugesnet restore the Web Acceleration please?

22 REPLIES 22
Danny89
Junior

Re: Web Acceleration Not Supported, SLOW speeds when downloading games

What beam are you in? To find out, go to your system control center, and click system information. Im in 84, and we are under some severe overload here. Ive been getting speeds as low as 3kB/s.

Anyway, the Web Acceleration thing has nothing to do with our slow speeds, according to Liz, Hughes is testing turning off web accelation since its become outdated as a technology. But based on what ive been told and my experience, our problem is some brutal overload and the FAP speed getting messed up real bad for it. Basically we need to wait for our data to roll over, or get tokens until they get everything balanced out again to run properly.

I was even having the dial up speeds while I had the late night bonus zone running with 20% of my data left!

Edit: The speeds have been so bad for me that I couldnt do anything online, not even get on Steam!

But anyway to further help, go and make an account on testmy.net, then share the My Results page here to help. Properly they like for us to download 25MB as the manual download, but last time I had this issue the support folks were accepting anything. Ive been doing 1MB tests during these evil slow times.

Th3LUG
Freshman

I just got to work so I'll have to find out what beam I'm on and do a speed test later today. 
I kind of feel bad for saying this, but I'm glad it's not just me lol! I was only 20 GB away from getting a game downloaded, and with normal FAP speed it should only take a few days downloading 8 hours a night, but now it probably won't get done this month Smiley Sad

in comparison last month when I was in FAP speed I had 11 days until my usuage reset and I was able to get over 180 GB in games downloaded in that time, it was awesome. Maybe the severe storms had something to do with it. I didn't have anything more than some heavy wind but maybe it screwed with wherever Hughes net is located.

But anyway enough rambling, thank you for the help, I'll post my beam number and speed test later today!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@Th3LUG , 

You will need to run speed tests so the speed issue can be addressed here. These speed tests are required to have any speed issues addressed on this site, and they need to be conducted in a specific way. 

See https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607
For more information on running these tests, check this page: https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/how-check-your-speed-performance

Th3LUG
Freshman

My beam ID is 64.
Danny89
Junior

That beam must be overloaded too!

Be sure to run the speed tests from testmy.net and post the results, so that the tech folks can see the problem

Im running at 20kB/s right now, actually able to game a little online. Im sure whoever ends up playing with me wont enjoy it though Smiley Tongue

Th3LUG
Freshman

An update, I went to the WiFi settings on my HugesNet Control Panel and I rebooted the Wifi. Now I'm getting good download speeds on Steam ( about 250 kilobytes/s). Before I did this I was still getting speeds around 50-100 kilobytes/s. Maybe that did something?
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Could be. And if it did, glad it restored your speed. If your speed tanks again, try the same strategy. 

@Th3LUG wrote:
An update, I went to the WiFi settings on my HugesNet Control Panel and I rebooted the Wifi. Now I'm getting good download speeds on Steam ( about 250 kilobytes/s). Before I did this I was still getting speeds around 50-100 kilobytes/s. Maybe that did something?

MarkJFine
Professor

It probably popped you onto a different route. I always reboot the modem to try and get a different route if things get squirrelly. Plus, if the DNS cache gets corrupted, rebooting clears it out. Not a bad strategy to do this once in a while.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
debyemm

We just saw this too, first time today.  One of us was on a livestream and it just stopped at a very inconvenient time in the middle.  Tech support said our system is not supported for livestream but minutes later this person was able to get back into it.  The tech really could not explain this well to me. The not supported message is still showing hours later.  As to slow speed - that's normal.  We hate it but since satellite is our only option here, we just tolerate it hoping someday we have better options (in sparsely populated rural area).