cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Acceleration Not Supported, SLOW speeds when downloading games

Th3LUG
Freshman

Re: Web Acceleration Not Supported, SLOW speeds when downloading games

The slow speed came back, and rebooting both the modem and the WiFi did nothing this time. $150 for less than dial up speed LOL! This slow speed only happened when Web Acceleration was turned off, so I still blame that. I've had no problems like this before! It was a bit faster during the "bonus time" (about 200 Kilobytes/s which is NORMAL during FAP at ALL times, NOT just the bonus Zone time) but then eventually it went back to between 10-40 kilobytes/s. This is unacceptable. HugesNET either needs to turn Web Acceleration back on or refund all my data allowance for free so I can get through the month. Again, 200 kilobytes/s is normal during FAP, not 10 kilobytes/s.
Th3LUG
Freshman

Here is my speed for today. My normal during FAP is 200 kilobytes, this is 47 kilobytes. Might as well unplug my internet for the rest of the month LOL. https://testmy.net/db/Kt1hwVta8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You will need more data points to have the engineers analyze the issue.  Try running 3 speed tests, each 5 minutes apart, 3 or 4 times during the day, so as to give the engineers a more complete picture. Without this, your case will not proceed. 

maratsade

@debyemm 

Not supported doesn't mean it won't work.  It means that if there's a problem with it, HughesNet will not support it, as it's not specifically designed to run livestream. Even so, livestream may work for some people some of the time.  

As for Web acceleration, read this post

Keep in mind this is a tech support site, so if you need tech support with an issue, you will need to go to the Tech Support area and start a new ticket by clicking the blue button marked  "Start a topic."  You will need to have your own ticket to get replies from the reps on this site and to get your case reviewed. 

Th3LUG
Freshman

I don't have time to do all of these tests. 1 should be good enough. I can get more, but they will not be 5 minutes apart as I have other things to do.
maratsade

No worries. Maybe your issues will get better on their own, or you can try talking to the phone reps.  

Just be aware that in this community your case will not move forward until you run the required troubleshooting protocol.  

@Th3LUG wrote:
I don't have time to do all of these tests. 1 should be good enough. I can get more, but they will not be 5 minutes apart as I have other things to do.

Th3LUG
Freshman

So this morning I was up at 7:30 AM and looked at my video game that was downloading on Steam, and it was going between 200-350 kilobytes/s. this is still during the Bonus zone. When 8:00 AM hit on the exact second, the bonus zone time ended and the speed dropped to 40 kilobytes a second. If I'm getting normal FAP speed during bonus zone, why is it dropping during normal time?
maratsade

Congestion, most likely.  More people come on at 8 am than during the wee hours. 

@Th3LUG wrote:
. If I'm getting normal FAP speed during bonus zone, why is it dropping during normal time?

Th3LUG
Freshman

The strange thing is I've never had this problem. I always use up my data a week or so before the end of the month and my FAP speeds were always in the 200-300 kilobytes a second range, in both the normal hours and the bonus time. It was normal last month. I thought the strong storms and high winds I had a few weeks ago knocked my satellite out of alignment, but then why are my speeds normal during the bonus zone and as soon as the bonus zone ends it drops? It didn't do that anytime before this month in the last few years. I don't think it is congestion unless everyone that has hughesnet gets on their computer at exactly 8 AM LOL! I've tried doing the speed tests but the 25 MB one took 9 minuets to get through it! I've tried both WIFI and wired connection and both the same slowness.
maratsade

@Th3LUG FAP doesn't apply to bonus hours unless you've used up all your bonus data as well, so when in FAP and having bonus data, your speeds will be normal during bonus time.  If you're in FAP all the time from having used up all your data (regular and bonus), then your speed will be FAP level all the time, that is, around 1 Mbps on a good day, but most likely less.  Congestion changes as more accounts are opened in an area, so over time things may change for an individual.  The number of subscribers grows with time, which changes the experience for everyone.  

You can always buy tokens to restore speed (but this can get expensive), or if you're really curious about whether there is some issue with your installation that no one has found so far, you could pay for a tech visit and have the tech go over the whole installation to make sure it's OK.  Sometimes nothing beats the hands on approach, and a tech on site may be able to discover something that remote diagnostics didn't pick up for whatever reason.  Not super cheap, but it may be worth it.