Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web acceleration issue

MSmith
Sophomore

Web acceleration issue

Hi,

We have been having an ongoing issue with web acceleration repeatedly failing.  Sometimes resetting the "MBX" will work for a while. Other times it takes rebooting the modem.  The modem was replaced a few weeks ago with a "refurbished" one.  I had to sanitize the thing when it arrived.  It looked like someone had spit on it.  It DID NOT fix the problem.  On any given day we could be semi-successful browsing our normal sites when, without warning, it just quits.  Ok, reset, reboot, or infrustration quit trying.  Come back later in the day and start the whole process all over again.  At this point I fervently wish a viable competitor to HughesNet were available.

Thanks for letting me vent.

14 REPLIES 14
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Web acceleration issue

I've noticed this happen when the congestion is extrememly high. I assume what's happening is there is a 'heartbeat' connection to the web acceleration server that just times out. It then assumes it's unreachable and automatically disables it.

Sometimes rebooting will get you on a better connection, but as you've seen that is not always the case. When the congestion is that high there's a possibility that you're already on the most reliable channel available.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
MSmith
Sophomore

Thsnks for your response.

Does this imply that Hughesnet has more clients than capacity to properly serve those clients?  Why do they still advertise for more clients?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MSmith wrote:

Thsnks for your response.

Does this imply that Hughesnet has more clients than capacity to properly serve those clients?  Why do they still advertise for more clients?

Perhaps for some things and at times, but system load is fluid.  They still sell service to remain true to their purpose, which is to provide a connection to people when they can't get one from anyone else.  

Unfortunately, the system sometimes being bogged down by use for which is was never intended is what's sometimes causing problems, and that use is streaming, streaming, streaming.  Occasional streaming is one thing, but the pandemic changed the whole dynamic.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MSmith
Sophomore

Streaming?  STREAMING?  WHAT'S THAT?  I can't get a 2 minute news clip to play without much buffering.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Would you want the HN reps on this site to look at the issue again to see what's going on?  

@MSmith wrote:

Hi,

We have been having an ongoing issue with web acceleration repeatedly failing.  Sometimes resetting the "MBX" will work for a while. Other times it takes rebooting the modem.  The modem was replaced a few weeks ago with a "refurbished" one.  I had to sanitize the thing when it arrived.  It looked like someone had spit on it.  It DID NOT fix the problem.  On any given day we could be semi-successful browsing our normal sites when, without warning, it just quits.  Ok, reset, reboot, or infrustration quit trying.  Come back later in the day and start the whole process all over again.  At this point I fervently wish a viable competitor to HughesNet were available.

Thanks for letting me vent.

MSmith
Sophomore

That is why I'm here.  YES!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Thank you. I wasn't sure if you were just venting, and I didn't want to assume.

So, to condense your post:

• There is an ongoing issue with web acceleration repeatedly failing.
  • Sometimes resetting the "MBX" will work for a while, and at other times the modem needs to be rebooted.
  • The modem was replaced a few weeks ago but the issue persists.

Hopefully @Liz , @Remy , or @Damian  will look into this for you and will get back to you soon and that whatever solution they offer will stick this time. 

Liz

Hi MSmith,

Thank you for providing this info. To be clear, when you're browsing, it seems like you're experiencing intermittent connectivity, sound about right?

So when you're browsing the internet, what indicates to you that you're no longer connected to the internet? Are you getting an error message in the browser or do you happen to notice all the LEDs on the modem off?

Does this intermittent connectivity happen even on a computer hardwired to the modem? (I'd like to rule out the wifi network.)

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

MSmith
Sophomore

Liz,

First, thanks for getting involved.

Intermittent connectivity is maybe right.  I've noticed that our problems occur most often when we are just beginning a session.  Having said that, I can't rule out the fact that it stops in the middle of a session.

We get error messages in the browser when pages don't load.  The modem lights stay lit.

We ruled out the wifi back in January.  We've been hard wired using two modems to this point and still having the same problem.