Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web pages slow to load

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Web pages slow to load

@JCH 

The latency results from testmy can't be relied on to be accurate.  They're results are often wildly inaccurate.  

The most accurate latency results you can get are from manually running pings and/or traceroutes to a variety of major hosts, like Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
JCH
Freshman

Thanks for the info GabeU,

I ran a ping test to Google and got 600 plus or minus millisecs........just what it should be for satellite.

Now I'm back to my mystery of good speed tests but off and on and variable slow loading web pages and YouTube buffering.

Assistant Professor

@JCH wrote:

Thanks for the info GabeU,

I ran a ping test to Google and got 600 plus or minus millisecs........just what it should be for satellite.

Now I'm back to my mystery of good speed tests but off and on and variable slow loading web pages and YouTube buffering.

There are generally four common sources for latency:
1. The gateway (ground station) is exhibiting congestion, or
2. The gateway's provider has a bad routing table, or
3. The gateway's provider has an erratic throughput problem (looking at you, CenturyLink), or
4. Someone along the route, including the destination, has a throughput problem.

If you do a traceroute, the gateway's provider is whoever owns hop #4.

If the problem is seen during streaming, it might not be a latency, per se. It may be the streaming server looking to acknowledge reception of a video segment and isn't waiting long enough to handle a lag commensurate of satellite internet and is just timing out. That is a lot more common than you'd think.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
JCH
Freshman

My slow web page loading and video buffering problem seems to have gone away. This has been the case for 48 plus hrs now.   Difficult to pursue soulutions when the problem no longer presents itself.

Therefore this thread shoud be closed.

Just hoping things stay "fixed"! Certainly a concern when no cause could be identified.

THANKS TO ALL WHO OFFERED HELP!!!

Professor

Very cool that it's gone for now!