Webmail layout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Webmail layout

Ever since the email layout was updated, changed, altered, I have an ad on the right side of the email page that takes up roughly one-quarter of the page so opened email is limited to roughly one-quarter of the page unless email headers are decreased to the point much of the information is gone. Is there a way to get rid of the ad. I could understand the necessity of the ad if Hughesnet email were free but we all pay for it. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck 

You may want to consider using an ad blocker with your browser.  

I use Chrome for a browser and the Ajax layout on the the HughesNet webmail page.  You can see whether you're using Ajax or HTML in Preferences.  I also use AdBlock Plus as an ad blocker, and I've never seen an ad on their webmail page. 

The browser you use doesn't really matter, but a good ad blocker will very likely help. 

Gabe, I took your advice and found an ad block that eliminated the ad but it wasn't the ad so much that I objected to. It is the waste of space that can't be used to open emails without cutting off the headers and most importantly, the dates. I think blocking off nearly a quarter of an already somewhat cluttered page was not a well thought out decision. After somebody sold my email address to NATO I get over 500 emails every week and sorting through the garbage while increasing or decreasing the width of the columns is a real pain. I also subscribe to journals, blogs, and other pages that aren't viewable unless the ads are allowed to the ad-block has to be turned off and on. Not a big deal but an irritant not needed had ads not been placed to eat up the limited space.

I'd really like to know the thought behind that design. I should anticipate that my monthly rate won't increase since ads are allowed to generate revenue. I doubt Hughes has entered a philanthropic phrase where they are giving that space away just to be 'good people.'

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Ad Block apparently didn't remove this incredibly grotesque ad. It's normally a blank wasted space)Why would they do this?Why would they do this?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck 

I tried setting it up similar to the way you have it, including using Firefox, and using HTML and with the reading pane on the right, and this is what I see when viewing an email with that configuration....

Screenshot (47).jpg

The same, but using Ajax instead of HTML...

Screenshot (48).jpg

I don't use HughesNet's mail for anything other than Community notifications, and then only because it's the only email the Community will send notifications to.  

If it's your main email and you plan to use it for a long time, my advice would be to move to something like Gmail or Yahoo Mail, and sooner rather than later.  Though HughesNet does offer email, it's not very advanced, and it's very possible that there will be a day when it's no longer offered and/or available, as ISP provided email is progressively going by the wayside.