Webpages not loading

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mschroeder79
New Poster

Webpages not loading

Thanks for the add! I recently had Hughesnet installed (April 6th.) I like the speed, but we are having problems with webpages loading. Sometimes the won't load at all. There are some problems even when changing pages on a website. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have called them twice and they always focus on speed, which is great when it is working. Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be, or is this just something we have to live with?

30 REPLIES 30

I've had the same problem specifically with lowes.com

The problem is definitely FireFox. When I use Microsoft Edge everything loads.

Liz

Hello mschroeder79, 

Thank you for your patience while our engineers work to address your concerns. Please try the steps here and let me know if they help.

Looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

runvids
New Poster

I too had this problem using a MacBook Pro, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, Safari. I discovered that Apple was the problem. Go to your Finder, open your computer file, open Library, find and open Preferences, locate Apple.security.plist and remove it (put it in the trash) and see if your problem goes away. It worked for me after trying numerous different suggestion. Good luck.

I do not have the file Apple.security.plist in my Preferences.  Any other suggestions?

@Spike wrote:

I do not have the file Apple.security.plist in my Preferences.  Any other suggestions?

Try this...find the Status Menu at the top of your screen where the Wi-Fi icon. Make sure you are connected to the HN modem. Then place the cursor over the icon and at the same time, press the touch pad (or mouse if you are using that) and the option key (also called the alt key).  You should see a drop menu appear that gives you the option to run a Network Diagnostic....choose to run it.  Follow the directions as the program runs.  If the program reports that the network settings have changed, choose the option to have the program correct the settings.  The program should be done at that point, and then you can then test your computer to see if it works as expected. I hope this helps and let us know how it turns out.

Sorry I have not been on  for a while. I have followed the recommendations in the posts left here. I coulbn't find the file,Apple.security.plist. I  also ran the diagnostic and it didn't find any problems. I am usually on my MacBook Air and my wife uses her Iphone or a windows based laptop. This problem persists on all of the divices from one degree to another. I appriciate the help from everyone, but I think this is just and issue with Hughesnet that they can't or won't address. It seems I am not the only one that has this issue.

Again, thanks for the help. I will wait out my two years and find another provider.

@mschroeder79 wrote:

Sorry I have not been on  for a while. I have followed the recommendations in the posts left here. I coulbn't find the file,Apple.security.plist. I  also ran the diagnostic and it didn't find any problems. I am usually on my MacBook Air and my wife uses her Iphone or a windows based laptop. This problem persists on all of the divices from one degree to another. I appriciate the help from everyone, but I think this is just and issue with Hughesnet that they can't or won't address. It seems I am not the only one that has this issue.

Again, thanks for the help. I will wait out my two years and find another provider.

First, don't feel bad if you couldn't find apple.security.plist as it is not available/visible if you are running Sierra OSX operating system.  The only other thing I can suggest at this point since you are having the problem with both Apple and Windows machines is related to possible Firewall restrictions.  Have you tried to turn off your HughesNet Firewall to see if that clears up the problem?  You can check this setting in your System Control Center by going to WiFi Setting>>>login as Administrator>>>go to Advanced Setup>>>select Firewall in the menu, you then can see the setting.  If the Firewall Features is "checked", uncheck it and then test your browsers ability to load pages.  As a side note, when you turn off the Firewall, a layer of built-in security will also be lost.  There are other security options available, but that is a discussion for another post.

Let us know if this suggestion helped.

I have unchecked the firewall and I will see how this works. By doing this, is my WiFi completely unprotected?

@mschroeder79 wrote:

I have unchecked the firewall and I will see how this works. By doing this, is my WiFi completely unprotected?

It is difficult to say if your WiFi is completely unprotected as both Windows and Mac OS operating systems provide options for protecting your WiFi.  Also, if you are using a separate router with your HughesNet modem, that separate router most likely has security options (even some that probably are set "on" by default) to protect your network.  I suspect you have protection, but to what degree is impossible to say without knowing more about your computers, network components and how they are set-up.  Sorry I can't be more definitive, but let us know if your webpages start loading now.

Same problem here.  Using MacBook Pro with Gen 2.  Many  times a web page will take 5-30 seconds to connect.  Sometimes will never connect.  If I disconnect wi-fi and reconnect wi-fi it connects.  Is there a problem with my Hughesnet HT2000W?