cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website I can no longer access - a user Forum - why?

Re: Website I can no longer access - a user Forum - why?

installed traceroute on my loonix box....  ;-)

Here is the terminal data.

tj@Maingear:~$ traceroute 94.130.128.252
traceroute to 94.130.128.252 (94.130.128.252), 64 hops max
1 192.168.42.1 0.235ms 0.160ms 0.185ms
2 100.104.74.105 0.429ms 0.403ms 0.388ms
3 69.35.193.85 634.652ms 779.951ms 690.055ms
4 69.35.196.59 550.078ms 1099.978ms 1059.977ms
5 69.35.196.33 590.008ms 650.020ms 910.104ms
6 * 4.30.69.133 666.961ms 860.024ms
7 * * *
8 212.113.8.42 740.961ms 759.878ms 950.128ms
9 5.56.18.1 1199.755ms 1240.346ms 759.614ms
10 80.255.15.122 790.045ms 710.005ms 1049.842ms
11 213.239.224.245 1040.022ms 819.939ms 799.971ms
12 213.239.229.134 1219.975ms 1090.023ms 1069.892ms
13 94.130.128.252 1079.823ms !* 1070.026ms !* 1089.964ms !*
tj@Maingear:~$

Assistant Professor

I'm thinking it's something in the DNS where it's just not resolving anything.

Can you try putting the DNS back to automatic, reboot and see if it works?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Letting the system get DNS from the Hughes router so not longer the 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 I get the following from Firefox in Ubuntu.

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

From Chome in Ubuntu

Cannot load app

It looks like you are offline! Please check your network connection and try again.

So the same.

TJ

I am going to reboot the modem and this system again and try once more.

TJ

@macsociety wrote:

I am going to reboot the modem and this system again and try once more.

TJ

No go.

Reboot Hughes modem... Reboot Ubuntu system.... Emptied cach (full empty) of Chrome browser.... still can't access the https://discuss.haiku-us.org

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Assistant Professor

That's just weird.

So, what we've determined is that there is something messing with your ability to resolve DNS to at least a couple of things. There's nothing else wrong with accessing directly via IP.

Just hunch, and realize it's probably a pita, but try going back to automatic DNS and rebooting/clearing everything. Before you bring up a Chrome browser or another application (if possible, some things kick off automatically), try doing a ping and/or traceroute like you did before using name, not the IP address, to see if it resolves.

I'm concerned something is running that is either blocking or rerouting your DNS lookups.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

That's just weird.

So, what we've determined is that there is something messing with your ability to resolve DNS to at least a couple of things. There's nothing else wrong with accessing directly via IP.

Just hunch, and realize it's probably a pita, but try going back to automatic DNS and rebooting/clearing everything. Before you bring up a Chrome browser or another application (if possible, some things kick off automatically), try doing a ping and/or traceroute like you did before using name, not the IP address, to see if it resolves.

I'm concerned something is running that is either blocking or rerouting your DNS lookups.

Had already left DNS on auto. Cleared browser cache. Turned off main linux system. Reset modem.  Turned system on.  Went right to Terminal.

tj@Maingear:~$ traceroute https://discuss.haiku-os.org
traceroute: unknown host
tj@Maingear:~$ ping https://discuss.haiku-os.org
ping: unknown host https://discuss.haiku-os.org
tj@Maingear:~$

Add some more oddity to this... So I have MANY computers... Normally connecting via Mac Mini, Ubuntu on Maingear PC, two iPhones, 2 iPads, and an NG Amiga.  Yes Amiga.  ;-)

Guess what... with the Amiga OS 4.1 system I can access the https://discuss.haiku-os.org fine.

Don't recall if I ever did prior... but it works right now.  It is wired direct to the Hughes Router.

ALL other systems that I have connected to Haiku-OS Discussion forum still do not connect.  Did for years.  All I have erased cache.... and tried all versions of browsers.

Linux box is direct connect to Hughes router.  Rest via wifi.

Makes weird sense one antiquated in modern terms Amiga OS Odyssey browser works though.

TJ

Assistant Professor

It seems odd, but the way local DNSes propagate across a local network first it's very possible that any one of those devices was contributing to a corrupted lookup and just feeding it back.

Hopefully you've found the culprit and squashed it for this as well as the other site issue.

Edit, before I forget: When not in automatic IPv6, I've generally set my DNSes to look at 192.168.0.1 first, 8.8.8.8 second, and 8.8.4.4 third. For some reason that seems to lower the possibility of that happening.

Is there a way to flush the router of any cached web urls it is storing, if it is doing that.

Just seems weird all systems other than 1 oddball system I may not have visited the Haiku forum before works yet all these others do not.

I would think only the Hughes Router is allow DNS access and allowing various computers to visit sites.

Are you saying other systems like my Mac Mini or iOS devices are interfering with that and maybe all systems are getting the DNS from it instead?

TJ

Assistant Professor

I'm saying it's possible, and even more convoluted than you think.

Could be an instance where it got currupted on one device, and another deivce just happened to pick up the bad lookup for safe keeping, then repropagated it the next time any other device tried to go there.

If that's the case:

1. I'd switch everything to point to the modem DNS (automatic).

2. Then power everything down with the modem being last.

3. Then, power everything back up, modem being first to own the master DNS, with everything else following afterwards.

4. If you want to change the DNS on each device to point to something else after that do so.

This way you be assured that any corrupt entry is completely expunged from your local network.