cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird slow speeds: Summerskies again

Weird slow speeds: Summerskies again

Slow and fluctuating speeds happening again.

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Weird slow speeds: Summerskies again

On 7-30-2015 I noticed all the modem lights were off (except power) and called in. Then they came back on and gradually the speeds came back up, but the speeds fluctuate. Watching YouTube is painful again. Even at 144p (extremely low quality) it buffers, pauses, buffers and then plays... eventually.

Hey Summerskies

Form what I see there is a few times where the speeds are slower than others and looking at the times it is during peak hours.  As traffic increases and there is this Election for POTUS going on it is normal for a slow down at times.  We all have these temporary slow downs it is the nature of the beast.  The prime times five seven and eight PM you are referring to is more than likley due to increased traffic.  Even Cable and DSL has these limits at times.  Those 10s 12s and 15s are pretty darn good but you aren't going to get them 24-7 it would be nice if we could.  I noticed mine recently has slowed during peak times but this will end soon I hope.

Sorry Gary, I am familiar with the slowdowns during peak hours, but from 15Mbps to 1.5Mbps is not normal slowdowns as I have seen in the past.

I'm curious to know why my modem rebooted itself. In looking at the event log, I see some re-boots during the day while I'm at work. It's not a power loss because the unit is connected to a UPS. Also some uplink losses at various times along with re-ranging and down states.

It happens!!! I normally run around 10Mb and 6 to 8 during peak hours.  Recently I have noticed during peak it is running about 2Mb.  I do think there has been a lot more traffic lately due to thing like: School starting, Presidential Election, NFL gearing up for new season, and other news and issues.  I do think this is temporary and after school is in and things settle down it will get back to normal.  

Now the rebooting and lights going off on the modem could very well be a hardware problem.  Go to 192.168.0.1 and check your system status and system information.  Pay attention to the, "Satellite Receive Signal Strength." under system status.  If you have an orange or red check mark then there is a problem.

Hi Summerskies, 

We'll look into this for you and let you know if we need additional information. I have no problem re-escalating your case up to our engineers who helped last time.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks Liz.

Tonight's tests.

Dang!!! that is bad especially at 10:30 PM