Hughesnet Community

Well, the folks took the plunge. Being installed on Wednesday.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, the folks took the plunge. Being installed on Wednesday.

I did most of the talking with the sales rep, but everything went well.  The rep mentioned everything they should have.  He explained that the service is divided between Anytime Data and Bonus Bytes.  He explained that Hughesnet does not work well with many online games.  He also explained that, if streaming, it's best to do it in SD or LD as HD will use a lot of data.  He explained the ETF, in full terms, and the site on which to find all of the legal info.  All of the things he was supposed to. 

I talked with them for the most part to keep my folks from being talked into things they don't need, like the express repair service.  I also knew what plan they needed from the get go. 

They'll either have to install the dish on a pole and bury the wire or install it on the roof of the garage, near the DirecTV dish.  The latter is preferable, but we'll see.  My folks have a lot of trees in front of their place, right in the way of the southern sky, so it will be tricky, but there are places it can be done, and the roof of the garage would give them a better view than what I have in my back yard, which is surrounded with trees, all at the southern end.  This is where I have mine installed.  If my trees were low enough for me, their tree heights should be fine for them.  I am going to make sure that I am at the folks' house during the install to ensure everything is in order.  Hopefully they get the same installers I had.

Again, though, the phone sales rep was very polite and disclosed all of the things he was supposed to.

With that said, it really would be a good idea if they could disclose the initial twenty days of resets.  It would take less than half a minute and would surely be helpful.  I know Hughesnet is always looking for ways in which they can improve the customer experience.  This is definitely one of them.  

Anyway, I just figured I would give my experience of signing up, even though it wasn't for me. 

16 REPLIES 16
Liz

Good morning Gabe! 

Thanks for sharing your sign up experience for your parents! Good to hear all went well. If they need any help or have questions, they should just ask you. Haha, but seriously, if there's something out of the ordinary, just let us know, we're happy to help.

Thanks!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

Their installation went well and their service is very good.  The installers were professional and quite personable.  It turns out one of them had helped to install my Gen4 upgrade in February, though it took a few minutes to recognize him.  Overall, my folks are quite happy with it. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It's great they have you to show them the ropes.
GabeU

I try.  It's mostly my stepfather that uses it, so I'm trying to get the point across about watching data and what data even is.  I'm going to be going over for a couple hours every day for a few days to give him a crash course in how to use a browser and access his email.  That near walled garden scenario that AOL uses really hurts people in the end, as when it's gone and they use some other type of connection, they are completely lost.  It's going to take a bit of time, but I think I'll get him there.  At least their phone line isn't tied up all the time now.  LOL. 

Liz

Yay! Happy to hear your folks are satisfied and that you're there to help. Thanks for the update, Gabe.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

altemier

Hi Gabeu.....just wondering if they told you that after you use you monthly data that you will have VERYslow speed but no overage cost and I personally use my data in 2 yes 2 days.  Good luck ....I come here very seldom so no need to respond to my post.....good luck
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

In a metered service there are only three ways to handle the account when contracted data allowance is depleted:

#1: Shut down service entirely

#2: Hit the subscriber with automatic overage charges such as found in many cell phone plans

#3: Maintain a reduced level of service by throttling speeds while having an option for a subscriber to knowingly purchase data at extra cost.

Of the three methods I would find the 3rd method that Hughes uses to be the least intrusive.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Another one who fails to follow through on help offered:  https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hate-hughesnet

Gwalk, said she seldom comes here so doubt your reply will be read anytime soon.

Beverly, Gabe knows the system limitations, he's been a customer for many years.
ericdanielle

Gabe,

Glad it is working out for your folks!  I cant express enough about how happy I am with my service.  I couldn't figure out why I had .1MB per hour leak in my system.  Turns out the PS4 uses that much data every hour to keep itself suspend.  So, shut it off after use.  No problem.  I can't wait for my newly retired parents to come home from a 3 month trip to show them our service and test it.  I'm 99% sure I can get them to drop the Frontier DSL for hughes.  I get a slowdown from 7-10pm.  Go figure, primetime.  But any other time..  averaging above the advertised 15 mbps. 

Beverly,

I come here very seldom so no need to respond to my post.....good luck

Somehow with your very seldom coming on to the forum, you have managed to peruse all the posts, find this one, and post you garbage.  Huh, odd don't you think.

after you use you monthly data that you will have VERYslow speed but no overage cost

Shall I add, common sense tells me that I would much rather take the slowdown then overage charges.  But hey, you must have deep pockets...  As to me it sounds like you would rather have the overage charges and high speed.  I'm wondering what you would be willing to pay for an extra 1 GB of overage?  Please do tell!  But then again, if your burning through your data in 2 days, you must be on the little bitty plan to save money, but then again, your probably streaming HD video on your 4K 56" and your seven ipads.

Eric 😉

altemier

wow.....Nasty group here today....now i remember why I do not come here.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Another one who fails to follow through on help offered:  https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hate-hughesnet

Gwalk, said she seldom comes here so doubt your reply will be read anytime soon.

Very true but Beverly's post does prove that you can cry and wish all you want but it isn't going to magically turn a satellite connection into a cable connection.

A satellite system does not, can not, will not compete with ground based systems. Rather large positive strides are occurring with some Gen4 users getting speeds in the 25-30 Mbps range.

Satellite is still going to be hampered of course with high latency. The speed of light is not just a suggestion, its the LAW. Something I'm sure B.Altemier can appreciate being involved in fire ploice .

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hate-hughesnet

Lab-Lover

Hey GabeU!!!
congrats on getting your parents on the band wagon! with you behind them, they are going to learn about data usage etc from the get go!   I truly think that is something super important to explain to new customers... watching your data and understanding how it relates to you and your system...!

CONGRATULATIONS to your parents !!!
GabeU

Hi Gabeu.....just wondering if they told you that after you use you monthly data that you will have VERYslow speed but no overage cost and I personally use my data in 2 yes 2 days.  
I'm already well aware of Smart Browsing, but have never had to use it as I've never come anywhere close to running out of Anytime Data, much less Bonus Bytes.  My folks won't come anywhere close to it, either.  I know you said your post didn't need an answer, but I figured I would anyway. 
GabeU

Lab-Lover,

I'm definitely getting them into the habit of checking their data at least a couple of times a day.  For right now the data isn't all that important, as they are going to be having the daily resets for another two and a half weeks, but at least it gets them in the habit of being cognizant of it for when it really counts.

What they do won't really use much data, but I just want to make sure nothing on their computer is going to be erroneously chewing through it.  I've checked everything I can think of, but as we all know there can be things on a computer that start raising their ugly heads and using that data when you least expect it.  Right now they are directly connected, but with a router soon coming in to the picture it will be even more important to watch it.  Even with the router, though, the only thing they will have connected is the same laptop they have directly connected now. 

They're loving it so far.    

GabeU

I just had my stepfather do a speed test and this is what he got...

I had to walk him through it over the phone, but it's not too shabby.  Not too shabby, at all.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think you need to have his system checked. 😛
Seriously, that is good though. Seems 20+ is the norm for many these days during off peak hours.