Hughesnet Community

What a RIP OFF!! Please don't get dragged in!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beverly Elizabe

What a RIP OFF!! Please don't get dragged in!!

I don't own laptops, etc. The ONLY thing I use the Internet service for is my ROKU and watch that & Netflix. I looked last night and my allowence was still at 42% left. My service was extremely slow this morning so I checked the usuage. I had ZERO!! Rediculous. I then purchased and extra 2GB in "tokens" @ $16. I got a whole two and a half 45min episodes of a Netflix show out of that. So I talk to customer service and they refunded me with 5GB. OH BOY! One 45 min show on Netflix eats up well over 1GB. My 50GB allowence is used up in a week at this rate. And that's JUST with ONE thing being connected to it. Everything is password secured on my end. And Software updates, etc do not apply because I do not own any devices like that. Other than my cell phone, which does not connect to this WIFI. I tried connecting my phone once to the Hughes Net service and it was so annoyingly slow. I'm better off just using my phones data allowence.... Biggest rip off EVER. $90+mnth for a weeks worth of service... Thanks for the SCAM, Hughes Net! Maybe you should teach your reps to not LIE and say that people are getting 100GB allowence when it's truly ONLY 50GB. No one thought it was imperative to explain that HALF of my allowence was between 2AM and 8AM! I'm a single mom of three kids. Why in the world would I be awake to watch Netflix shows between those times??!!?? Such a disappointment and complete rip off!
47 REPLIES 47
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

The ONLY thing I use the Internet service for is my ROKU and watch that & Netflix
Streaming video, especially in HD, will use up more data than everything else combined, at least 1 GB/HR.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hughesnet-data-management-tips-n-tricks-how-to-el...

Try Verizon or AT&T. A 100 GB data plan will run over $700/mo.

A 50 GB plan will run about $395/mo.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Beverly Elizabe

I understand this NOW, yes. BUT when I was asked what I would be using the Internet for and how many hours per day, etc so a customer service rep could "find me the perfect plan", HUGHES NET should have been honest with me. I was told that this plan would be perfect for me and that it would last me a full month, according to my useage. I was taken advantage of because I didn't know exacts about GB/MB useage, etc. When I asked about it to a representative, they should have been honest that this service wouldn't be right for me or accommodate my needs. Instead, I was taken for a ride.
Beverly Elizabe

Can I do this through my router? I'm not sure how these things work. I have T-Mobile with an active Hotspot. Can I connect that through my router to TV?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Beverly Elizabeth Johnson,

If you feel that you were misled by the sales rep, you can post either a case number from a prior call, or the serial number from the bottom of your modem.  This will allow the official reps to find your account and, if available, listen to the sales call to hear what the sales rep stated.  DO NOT post your SAN (the one that starts with DSS).  If they determine that you were misled, they may be able to work something out with you.  

The official reps are on the boards from 8 or 9am to 5pm EST, M-F. 

Good luck.

Beverly Elizabe

I did this today. I was given a 5GB credit to my allowence.... That's it. Making another call tomorrow and hopefully get better answers/help. I'm very upset I was mislead into thinking I was getting something I never received.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The reps here are at the corporate level and are going to be able to help you at a much better level than the phone reps.  This would be the place to post one of the two things so you can receive more in depth help.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You stream in HD your data will disappear very quickly. My wife and I watch quite a bit of Netflix in low definition.
Beverly Elizabe

How do you watch in low definition?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

May take 8 hours to take effect.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also, if you have a Youtube account you can set it not not play HD:

Beverly Elizabe

Thank you! I just changed it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Most welcome. It can take awhile before it takes effect. We just bought a 55 inch TV and to be honest we have no problem with low definition. I think people have become video spoiled. I don't need to see every nose hair on a person.  : )
Beverly Elizabe

I feel the same way! Thank you. I'm hoping this helps with my useage issues.
Beverly Elizabe

Can someone explain to me what the "Smart Browsing" feature is for Hughes Net? Thank you.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It kicks in when you use all your data and allows you to surf the intent fairly quickly. No streaming and downloading files though. Works pretty well from what I hear. Haven't been in the situation myself though to try it.  

PS: Strongly suggest an ad blocker on all browsers.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Refreshing someone asking and responding to questions, then actually acting upon them.  : )
Amanda

Hello Beverly,

It is very nice to see that our community is giving you a hand with this situation so far. We'd like to help handle the other problem you're having - your sales call. If you are still fairly new to us, I might be able to get your sales call and review it to see if you were correctly explained the plan you were getting, given a disclaimer regarding streaming and made aware of how the service works. 

Can you provide a recent case number or the serial number of your modem? This will allow me to locate your account and get started.

Thank you
Amanda
Beverly Elizabe

How would I do that? Do I need a certain TV?
Beverly Elizabe

Thank you. I will provide when I get home to get that information.