Hughesnet Community

What a RIP OFF!! Please don't get dragged in!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beverly Elizabe

What a RIP OFF!! Please don't get dragged in!!

I don't own laptops, etc. The ONLY thing I use the Internet service for is my ROKU and watch that & Netflix. I looked last night and my allowence was still at 42% left. My service was extremely slow this morning so I checked the usuage. I had ZERO!! Rediculous. I then purchased and extra 2GB in "tokens" @ $16. I got a whole two and a half 45min episodes of a Netflix show out of that. So I talk to customer service and they refunded me with 5GB. OH BOY! One 45 min show on Netflix eats up well over 1GB. My 50GB allowence is used up in a week at this rate. And that's JUST with ONE thing being connected to it. Everything is password secured on my end. And Software updates, etc do not apply because I do not own any devices like that. Other than my cell phone, which does not connect to this WIFI. I tried connecting my phone once to the Hughes Net service and it was so annoyingly slow. I'm better off just using my phones data allowence.... Biggest rip off EVER. $90+mnth for a weeks worth of service... Thanks for the SCAM, Hughes Net! Maybe you should teach your reps to not LIE and say that people are getting 100GB allowence when it's truly ONLY 50GB. No one thought it was imperative to explain that HALF of my allowence was between 2AM and 8AM! I'm a single mom of three kids. Why in the world would I be awake to watch Netflix shows between those times??!!?? Such a disappointment and complete rip off!
47 REPLIES 47
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, I just threw that one out there to say there are cord free options also.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

At the risk of being very annoying, with the Ultra plan and using low definition it isn't really a problem for us plus we don't stream excessively anyway. Ends up being a fairly small percentage of our allowance. 

Edit: From Beverly's post it appears she is on Ultra plan, really shouldn't be a problem for her either unless she's streaming a whole lot. If only streaming and not much else data intensive, then at 300 MB per hour that is over 150 hours of viewing per month.
Beverly Elizabe

And this would be watching in standard, correct? For the 300MB per hour? And I do have Roku. I was just wondering how to connect my phone plan mobile hot spot to my TV for Netflix so I can use that data when my allowence from here runs out...
Beverly Elizabe

Where would I find the serial number
Beverly Elizabe

I'm willing to try anything to help with useage. Ha ha. I'm just not technologically savvy.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Beverly Elizabeth Johnson,

The serial number is on a sticker on the bottom of your modem.

Beverly Elizabe

*UPDATE* I took the advice here and hooked up my mobile hot spot on my phone to my Roku to watch Netflix. I also decreased my viewing from Ultra HD to standard viewing. I've been watching Netflix using my Mobile Hot spot for a large portion of the day and did not even break 1GB of data used. I also disconnected my modem/router for the Hughes Net Service to make sure there was no interference between connections. Now, the experiment begins... I had a little over 1GB left in my Hughes Net allowence so I decided to see how long that would last doing the same exact thing I did with my mobile hot spot. WELL, I didn't get far at all!! I disconnected my phone, I completely shut off my phone so the connection's wouldn't interfere, etc. I only got halfway through the same exact movie I watched earlier in the day with my hotspot on. My Hughes net 1GB wiped out in less than an hour. While I didn't even use 1GB with my being connected for hours upon hours (8hrs total), with my Mobile Hot Spot.... HMMMMMM... HOW does that happen?!?! Both times I watched in the same standard resolution but Hughes Net drains my remaining 1GB and my T-Mobile hotpot 1GB is still going strong...
Beverly Elizabe

Will provide in the morning while I'm home to retrieve. I would love answers to many things here....
Beverly Elizabe

And nothing else was connected during these times. Only my Roku/Netflix in my livingroom.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I don't have Roku but with Netflix you must change the streaming definition in your account settings. It can take 8 hours before it takes effect.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

I stream an hour of Netflix at 300 MB and even lower sometimes. Watching new season of Peaky Blinders and it looks fine on 55 inch TV using HDMI from computer to TV.

Mobile hot spot uses lower definition by default. Streaming on your computer or TV does not use low definition by default. Must set it at streaming end. Youtube also has settings for lower definition streaming.
Beverly Elizabe

Mobile Hot Spot and Hughes Net Service were both used the same exact way with viewing in standard form. My viewing preference was already switched to standard when you recommend previously. I just checked again and it is still in fact in standard viewing.
Beverly Elizabe

I purposely did this to test the difference between my mobile hot spot & my Hughes Net Service.... T-Mobile hotspot for the win by a long shot! Viewing definition was the same through each source tested. Hughes net 1GB was gone in not even an hour while watching standard definition netflix. My T-Mobile hotspot 1GB hasn't even hit yet and I've watched at least 7hrs more on that in the same standard definition.
Beverly Elizabe

Everything is set at standard, low definition for viewing.
Beverly Elizabe

Everything is set at standard, low definition for viewing.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I honestly don't know then. Have Netflix set to low definition and use about 300 MB per hour for streaming. Then again, I'm not paying for HD account either, signed up for lower definition, HD is grayed out in my account settings.

Again, does take up to 8 hours once you change the setting to take effect.
Beverly Elizabe

This is the same exact as my account, as you have shown in picture. I switched it days back when you recommended.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I honestly don't know what is going on in your case. I can stream and hour of Netflix in low definition on a 55 inch TV that uses about 300 MB.

Kinda going to tap out, have no clue why you're using so much data.
Beverly Elizabe

I'm only using that much on the Hughes Net service... That's why I'm confused. T-Mobile hotspot seems to be on target. . I have a 40" in low definition.... Thank you for your help thus far. The Netflix definition viewing really helped me out!! Now to figure this one out...
Beverly Elizabe

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled This seems Fishy!! Would love some answers!!.

I took the advice here and hooked up my mobile hot spot on my phone to my Roku to watch Netflix. I also decreased my viewing from Ultra HD to standard viewing. I've been watching Netflix using my Mobile Hot spot for a large portion of the day and did not even break 1GB of data used. I also disconnected my modem/router for the Hughes Net Service to make sure there was no interference between connections. Now, the experiment begins... I had a little over 1GB left in my Hughes Net allowence so I decided to see how long that would last doing the same exact thing I did with my mobile hot spot. WELL, I didn't get far at all!! I disconnected my phone, I completely shut off my phone so the connection's wouldn't interfere, etc. I only got halfway through the same exact movie I watched earlier in the day with my hotspot on. My Hughes net 1GB wiped out in less than an hour. While I didn't even use 1GB with my being connected for hours upon hours (around 8hrs total), with my Mobile Hot Spot.... HMMMMMM... HOW does that happen?!?! Both times I watched in the same standard resolution but Hughes Net drains my remaining 1GB and my T-Mobile hotpot 1GB is still going strong...
Beverly Elizabe

I'm streaming from my Roku to my TV. I do not have a laptop or any other device to connect to Internet other than my phone which I shut off during viewing with Hughes Net service... The difference between the Hughes Net data usage and Mobile Hot Spot data useage for the same exact thing is substantial. The same exact movie watched in the same exact format (low 0.3GB per hour) ate a little over 1GB in less than an hour connected to Hughes Net. Where as my Mobile Hotspot Streamed it correctly at the correct viewing (low definition). My Netflix setting is set to low definition. So, there's no way it was viewd in HD...