Hughesnet Community

What a RIP OFF!! Please don't get dragged in!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beverly Elizabe

What a RIP OFF!! Please don't get dragged in!!

I don't own laptops, etc. The ONLY thing I use the Internet service for is my ROKU and watch that & Netflix. I looked last night and my allowence was still at 42% left. My service was extremely slow this morning so I checked the usuage. I had ZERO!! Rediculous. I then purchased and extra 2GB in "tokens" @ $16. I got a whole two and a half 45min episodes of a Netflix show out of that. So I talk to customer service and they refunded me with 5GB. OH BOY! One 45 min show on Netflix eats up well over 1GB. My 50GB allowence is used up in a week at this rate. And that's JUST with ONE thing being connected to it. Everything is password secured on my end. And Software updates, etc do not apply because I do not own any devices like that. Other than my cell phone, which does not connect to this WIFI. I tried connecting my phone once to the Hughes Net service and it was so annoyingly slow. I'm better off just using my phones data allowence.... Biggest rip off EVER. $90+mnth for a weeks worth of service... Thanks for the SCAM, Hughes Net! Maybe you should teach your reps to not LIE and say that people are getting 100GB allowence when it's truly ONLY 50GB. No one thought it was imperative to explain that HALF of my allowence was between 2AM and 8AM! I'm a single mom of three kids. Why in the world would I be awake to watch Netflix shows between those times??!!?? Such a disappointment and complete rip off!
47 REPLIES 47
Beverly Elizabe

I would also LOVE to know how, on a password protected Internet service, can THIS HAPPEN?? THIS being data useage when I wasn't even home!! There's no tablets/laptops in my home to connect for upgrades/downloads, etc. I watched the movie I mentioned around 1pm. I was out all morning for Father's day Breakfast, etc and we did not return home until 12:30pm. And it was never used around 8PM as shown.. So I'm not understanding the usage grid here one bit. Can someone shed light on this part?? AND notice screens shot # 2.... Funny how it says there was useage starting at 5AM when for ONE: We have NO DATA to be streaming video with through netflix in the first place (the only thing we use service for) AND no one was even awake in our house to use the service until 6:45AM. Then it was turned on a little after 7AM and streamed off of my Bonus Bytes allowence until 8AM... NOTHING is adding up here.
Beverly Elizabe

Are you still available to assist me?
foxbrook
Sophomore

When you make the comparison between HN and your hotspot are you watching the same video? Netflix uses a variable compression algorithm now that will compress "simple" visuals a lot more than "complex" visuals. So 2 different videos streaming in low def could have very different data usage.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-better-streaming-quality-1201661116/

Beverly Elizabe

Yes. Just to test this I put on the same exact movie in the same exact definition viewing (low) which is set as so on my Netflix account. My Netflix is set to ONLY stream low definition at 0.3GB per hour. And I can also just tell it wasn't in High Definition on either just from the picture on TV alone...
Beverly Elizabe

It just doesn't make sense in any scenerio HOW 1GB could drain in less than an hour whIle viewing video in low definition @ 0.3GB per hour. Nothing is adding up with my service since I've had it. It's extremely frustrating that my Data is draining... Then to top it off, on my useage grid, I'm seeing usage at times that no one was even at my home to use this said data!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What version of Roku do you have ?

How are you connecting your Roku to your Hughes system  ... wired or wireless ?

If thru a router ..... what brand, model and version ?

If using a router did you change the default username and password for the router's GUI ?

After having changed the above what wireless encryption level did you set up ?

In the router's setup pages did you do ALL of the following:

Turn off "Guest Account" ?

Disable WPS ?

Disable "Remote Access" ?

Disable "QoS" ?

Have you manually updated the routers Firmware ?

After having updated the firmware did you then change the routers settings so that is doesn't "auto-check" periodically ?

Have you disabled all router related "cloud/sync" services ? 

Without a wired computer in the house how did you create the "Network" in the first place ?

Please describe your TV:

Brand, Model ?

Have you run through the TV's "cloud/sync" services to insure the set isn't "sharing" data ?

EDIT:

Have you updated the Roku's internal software ?