What anti-virus does Not eat a ton of data. i know its not McAfee

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

What anti-virus does Not eat a ton of data. i know its not McAfee

my anti virus is expiring and I need to get a new one,  I currently have McAfee and it really eats data, 
21 REPLIES 21
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I use the free version of Avast:

https://www.avast.com/en-us/index?device=c&gclid=CKrRpZGg2s0CFUmRfgodMUYDig

Avast has more "bloat" than in years past ... it is important to do a "custom" install so you can avoid some "add-ons" such as Chrome and so forth.

Settings can then be adjusted to limit the amount of "yakking" and so forth.

Stay away from AVG.... They have changed their privacy policy .. and not for the better.

Knerkin Akin

I have used BitDefender Internet Security for years and have never noticed excessive traffic either into or out of any of its  processes. 
billmiller43

AV is NOT worth a dime! I use a Mac, no A/V necessary. For what you pay for A/V you can buy a used Mac. I wake up my Mac, do what I want, and put it back to sleep. No checking for A/V updates, downloading, installing, etc. You spend more time on A/V than using. Plus the A/V must check all input for "Blacklisted" executables. But and programmer that writes low level code can still access your bios or HDD and screw everything up. I could, but won't waste my time. Check out what a used Mac can be had for, Itel and OSX capable.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Bill, what part of "use the free version" didn't you understand ?

Also ... Mac's are fine ... and USUALLY no A/V is needed YET.

It is not that a Mac (or Linux) is inherently "safer" in some way so much is that the Bad Guys target the OS or software running on the OS that gives them the largest target audience.

farmerhugh
Junior

thanks
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Bill went Mac and never looked back.  😛

Comodo free version is also excellent. Using is for at least 3 years now, not a data hog works very well.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

farmerhugh,

I've used Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for the last three or four years.  It's not a free one, but it's very inexpensive, and because it's cloud based, it uses VERY little data.  The download and installation is tiny, as well.  It's used a total of 100.9MB over the last 30 days.  It's extremely low impact.  It costs me $19.99 per year for three devices (not for each, but all together).  It's stopped me from getting in some jams, for sure, as it will stop a web page from opening if it suspects anything funny (you can override it if you want to).  It will monitor your downloads and installations for anything off, as well.  Just a thought.   

GabeU

Bill definitely loves his Mac.  He seems to hate PCs so much that I think if he could somehow have them outlawed, he would.  LOL.  🙂
billmiller43

Not true! When first IBM XT came out, my friend sold his sailboat to buy a $20,000 XT I advised him not to. When the AT came out a year later it was "Obsolete", and couldn't run code for an AT! The architecture is so primitive, and insecure. And now, over 30 years later, still is. Still single thread processing, relying on multiprocessors for more throughput. Keep on buying new computer, new OS, and all the levels like Win 10, home, 32 bit, 64 bit. My "Old" Mac Pro running OSX 10.11 multi-thread processing, and I bought it for $100 as a "Fixer upper".  Has four HDD sleds, which are easily swappable. I just can't logically see why to by a PC. I can just install it on a HDD and run it native mode, IF I wanted to. why? Current OSX is a free download btw.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

So, you are telling me, somehow, that my OS can't run multi-threaded applications with a multi-threaded processor when I know it certainly can.  Bill, you have smoked way too much MJ in your time.

As for the whole, "AV is pointless, get a MAC" you sure did buy into those Mac Vs. PC Commercials didn't ya?
http://time.com/4249413/apple-mac-ransomware-hack/

By the way, there are more attacks hitting Apple based operating systems than what you can imagine.

As for the differences between the hardware of a Mac and a desktop PC, there are no differences anymore - none, at all, what, so, ever.

They use the SAME CPU architecture, the same style BIOS (not even a BIOS anymore), same type of memory, same everything.

The difference though?  A mac tends to use mobile components, and charges a premium for what is essentially OEM with an Apple logo on it.
Amanda

Hi farmerhugh,

Hope that you have a good pick of the litter here - some very good suggestions from everyone. Let us know if you found one that worked for you!

Thanks
Amanda
farmerhugh
Junior

thanks--I don't mind paying a reasonable amount.  I'll check it out,  Just don't like all the data usage.
farmerhugh
Junior

do you see any advantages to the "paid Avast"
billmiller43

Anti-virus is like a list of convicted felons. Someone has to be "Infected" before a "Blacklist" a/v can program a "Fix". Since 1980 I have used a Mac without one problem. Just buy a used Mac like an iMac and use it for internet. Never load anything onto your PC that didn't come from a DVD from a software company.  When the first IBM XT came out, my associates and I said, "It can not be made secure". And after over 30 years, we are still correct. My PC's that I had to use as a professional, all where dumped into the trash when I retired. My 5/50Gb plan has never run out in five years. I've used 65% after 25 days now.
 I tap the space bar to "Wake up" my iMac, and in 5 seconds am using the internet. When done I put it to "Sleep" in a couple of seconds. Check it out, I haven't spent a cent on OS updates in years, and my old Mac Pro runs OS X 10.11.
 You will have a "hard time" unlearning Windows. But Apple forums have lots of friendly helpful users that are glad to help.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amway comes to mind also.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Bill,
Options abound ... a Mac is not the "holy Grail" of computing.
I just loaded Linux Mint 17.3 on a hard drive for my laptop.
The OS was free, the updates were free and it ran on standard hardware.
farmerhugh
Junior

Bill--you must have Apple stock!!!  I can't afford a Mac and i have what I can..Since the folks here have given me information that has taught me to use my data sensibly
(i have not run out since I put the information to use) i wish to keep it that way, thus my thirst to get a good antivirus protection installed.  I"m believe i'm going to install the Avast free version. for starters.  Thanks for all your help.  You'all rock!
GabeU

farmerhugh,

Avast is a great antivirus.  One of the best rated when it comes to catching the "bad stuff."  And it being free certainly doesn't hurt.  I used to use it before switching to the Webroot, and only then because it would sometimes do updates that weren't really amenable to the Hughesnet plan I had at the time, which was the small daily allowance.  Of course, the Gen4 makes that different now, and Avast itself may be different, too. 

That you are going to try Avast is a good idea.  it may very well be perfect for you.  Again, it's rated one of the best, even against the paid types.  You can always watch what it's using and if you feel it's too much, change to something else.  I would give it a try.  And like previously said, do a custom install so you don't end up installing all the extra stuff you don't need.

Good luck.

GabeU

farmerhugh,

Avast is a great antivirus.  One of the best rated when it comes to catching the "bad stuff."  And it being free certainly doesn't hurt.  I used to use it before switching to the Webroot, and only then because it would sometimes do updates that weren't really amenable to the Hughesnet plan I had at the time, which was the small daily allowance.  Of course, the Gen4 makes that different now, and Avast itself may be different, too. 

That you are going to try Avast is a good idea.  it may very well be perfect for you.  Again, it's rated one of the best, even against the paid types.  You can always watch what it's using and if you feel it's too much, change to something else.  I would give it a try.  And like previously said, do a custom install so you don't end up installing all the extra stuff you don't need.

Good luck.