cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What anti-virus does Not eat a ton of data. i know its not McAfee

Sophomore

What anti-virus does Not eat a ton of data. i know its not McAfee

my anti virus is expiring and I need to get a new one,  I currently have McAfee and it really eats data, 
21 REPLIES 21
Honorary Alumnus

Re: What anti-virus does Not eat a ton of data. i know its not McAfee

I use the free version of Avast:

https://www.avast.com/en-us/index?device=c&gclid=CKrRpZGg2s0CFUmRfgodMUYDig

Avast has more "bloat" than in years past ... it is important to do a "custom" install so you can avoid some "add-ons" such as Chrome and so forth.

Settings can then be adjusted to limit the amount of "yakking" and so forth.

Stay away from AVG.... They have changed their privacy policy .. and not for the better.

I have used BitDefender Internet Security for years and have never noticed excessive traffic either into or out of any of its  processes. 

AV is NOT worth a dime! I use a Mac, no A/V necessary. For what you pay for A/V you can buy a used Mac. I wake up my Mac, do what I want, and put it back to sleep. No checking for A/V updates, downloading, installing, etc. You spend more time on A/V than using. Plus the A/V must check all input for "Blacklisted" executables. But and programmer that writes low level code can still access your bios or HDD and screw everything up. I could, but won't waste my time. Check out what a used Mac can be had for, Itel and OSX capable.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Bill, what part of "use the free version" didn't you understand ?

Also ... Mac's are fine ... and USUALLY no A/V is needed YET.

It is not that a Mac (or Linux) is inherently "safer" in some way so much is that the Bad Guys target the OS or software running on the OS that gives them the largest target audience.

Sophomore

thanks
Assistant Professor

Bill went Mac and never looked back.  Smiley Tongue

Comodo free version is also excellent. Using is for at least 3 years now, not a data hog works very well.
Distinguished Professor III

farmerhugh,

I've used Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for the last three or four years.  It's not a free one, but it's very inexpensive, and because it's cloud based, it uses VERY little data.  The download and installation is tiny, as well.  It's used a total of 100.9MB over the last 30 days.  It's extremely low impact.  It costs me $19.99 per year for three devices (not for each, but all together).  It's stopped me from getting in some jams, for sure, as it will stop a web page from opening if it suspects anything funny (you can override it if you want to).  It will monitor your downloads and installations for anything off, as well.  Just a thought.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor III

Bill definitely loves his Mac.  He seems to hate PCs so much that I think if he could somehow have them outlawed, he would.  LOL.  Smiley Happy

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Not true! When first IBM XT came out, my friend sold his sailboat to buy a $20,000 XT I advised him not to. When the AT came out a year later it was "Obsolete", and couldn't run code for an AT! The architecture is so primitive, and insecure. And now, over 30 years later, still is. Still single thread processing, relying on multiprocessors for more throughput. Keep on buying new computer, new OS, and all the levels like Win 10, home, 32 bit, 64 bit. My "Old" Mac Pro running OSX 10.11 multi-thread processing, and I bought it for $100 as a "Fixer upper".  Has four HDD sleds, which are easily swappable. I just can't logically see why to by a PC. I can just install it on a HDD and run it native mode, IF I wanted to. why? Current OSX is a free download btw.