What did I get myself into???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
comptrmedic
Freshman

What did I get myself into???

Hello to the community, just past the 20 day mark new subscriber and have had an eye opener!  I'm a just recently (early) retired and moved out to the country ex Network Administrator and have been used to high speed unlimited data connections.  I'm in pain here people!  I've ate up half my monthly data allowance in two days!!  Have to admit I'm guilty of several satellite data sins, i.e. phone farming, you tube cat videos, streaming music, you know, normal everyday internet usage.  Fully understanding that every machine, tablet, and phone I have on and connected to the internet eats bits of data whether I'm using it or not, I shut everything down to stop the bloody massacre of my precious bits and bytes.  With that said, my primary entertainment is education videos from the likes of UDEMY, YouTube, and other lesser known IT training sites.  Can we all say "data hawg", anyway, looking for suggestions regarding video downloaders that can find the background link for vids that are embedded into a webpage. Though some instructors on UDEMY openly post their vid links most like to hide them.  Ideas???

10 REPLIES 10
jomama
New Poster

No ideas, I am searching for some myself.  Used 20 GB in 4 days.  Talked to a rep today and they said that my X-box and Direct tv are using 8GB combined throughout the day.  Both devices had been turned off since 11 pm last night. Absolutely ridiculous!! I will be cancelling my service soon.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jomama wrote:

No ideas, I am searching for some myself.  Used 20 GB in 4 days.  Talked to a rep today and they said that my X-box and Direct tv are using 8GB combined throughout the day.  Both devices had been turned off since 11 pm last night. Absolutely ridiculous!! I will be cancelling my service soon.

You DirecTV receiver isn't really off when it's off.  It's in standby, and can continue to use data.  Connecting a DirecTV receiver to Hughesnet is generally advised against as there is no way to control the data it can use, and it can use a LOT.  

BTW, keep in mind that if cancelling while in a contract you may very well be subject to an Early Termination Fee.  

I feel like the reps should ask what type of service the customer uses as their cable tv provider and make them aware of the impact Direct TV can have on data usage.  The only reason I have it hooked up is because you cant access certain things, such as on demand without a hard connection.  As far as the cancellation fee goes, I will happily pay the $385 they quoted me to get rid of this god aweful service.  Already picked up my Tmobile hotspot and it works ten times better while consuming over 1/2 the data

I've never been a gamer (ok I did play a little pong back in the day) so can't speak to the xbox but have been with directv since it's inception and there shud be no reason for it to use your internet connection unless you're doing on demand movies.  I just got the new Genie system and haven't noticed it using my inet data, will have to watch that...

GabeU

@comptrmedic wrote:

I've never been a gamer (ok I did play a little pong back in the day) so can't speak to the xbox but have been with directv since it's inception and there shud be no reason for it to use your internet connection unless you're doing on demand movies.  I just got the new Genie system and haven't noticed it using my inet data, will have to watch that...

To each his/her own.   DirecTV receivers, including the standard DVR and the Genie, can use data for things other than On Demand.  This has been experienced by people with Hughesnet and other capped ISPs.  This is why connecting it to Hughesnet is advised against.  

Interesting, neither the DTV or the HN installers said anything about "other" usage and they were both here at the same time, have to put a sniffer on my network to see what goes on whilst I'm not looking.

Most those boxes will download extra programming information, tv guide data, and if it's a DVR, it will usually download an HD copy of the file from a remote source instead of recording it locally since that can provide the best quality, same with the "on demand" shows.

About the best thing you can do, is stream in the lowest resolution humanly possible, and kill off anything that doesn't need immediate access.

Are you serious about Direct TV?  I didn't know anything about that and I also feel like I fell hook, line, and sinker when purchasing this service.  In fact, I was flat out lied to.  I had a friend with Wild Blue who was always running out of data and specifically asked the salesperson on the phone if Hughes Net was like that.  He said no, not at all.  If you're used to leaving email and facebook up all day, you can do that with Hughes net.  Bull !   My twenty free days ran out two days ago and I've already used 25% of my month and all I've done is read email, facebook, did some banking, looked around Target.com and that was it.  At this rate my plan will last me five more days.  What an absolute ripoff.  I ordered this svc. because no underground lines had been trenched to a new development yet I purchased a home in.  I will gladly eat the 400.00 cancellation fee to switch to Century Link because I'll spend that in two months time just buying tokens from Hughes Net.  Disgusting to take advantage like this of people who have no access to regular internet.

GabeU

@jburrell

Yes.  DirecTV can use a lot of data.  There's no guarantee that it will, but it can.  

Email and Facebook alone aren't going to chew through that much data, unless one is constantly sending emails, and with attachments, at that, and Facebook is playing videos automatically (which should be disabled).  If you are two days in and you are already through 25% of your data something is eating through your data, and if you have a DirecTV receiver connected it could be that.  

If you only use PCs you should install Glasswire to see what's eating all of your data.  https://www.glasswire.com/

If Windows 10, turn off syncing, turn off "updates from more than one place", and shut off, or even better yet, uninstall Onedrive.  

Direct TV is not connected to my computer at all.  I will use that link you provided.  Thanks !