Hughesnet Community

What do you think of these results?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeR1

What do you think of these results?

My dish points right through some high voltage tranmission lines a few hundred yards away.

https://testmy.net/db/Q2N5B9mWo.k3LxZrHJp

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The URL to your results should be https://testmy.net/quickstats/George%20Reynolds

Those results look excellent, but you should use 25MB for downloads and 4MB for uploads. 

Thank you very much.

My latency tests are ranging from 1500ms to 2000 ms with variaiton from 20% to over 40%.  Is that normal as the internet on the 2G net seems very slow? The TV hard-wired HDMI to the router on the 5G side stutters and or pauses for 10 to 15 seconds every five minutes or

@maratsade wrote:

The URL to your results should be https://testmy.net/quickstats/George%20Reynolds

Those results look excellent, but you should use 25MB for downloads and 4MB for uploads. 

so, which is really annoying.

maratsade

If you're using the latency test from Testmy, that's not reliable.  Your latency is probably what's normal for satellite, around 600ms.  Unfortunately, the browsing experience can be slow due to  satellite latency plus internet latency plus congestion.  

@maratsade wrote:

If you're using the latency test from Testmy, that's not reliable.  Your latency is probably what's normal for satellite, around 600ms.  Unfortunately, the browsing experience can be slow due to  satellite latency plus internet latency plus congestion.  

I was using testmy.   Thanks for the feedback.  Any suggestions ot the TV/5G side.  I'm very new to this and the install is in in a small cabin that's our second home under a remodel.  I've not had a chance to really educate myself, and we're now quarantined up here due to Covid-19 contact tracing protocol.  You're a great resource and it seems like this community offersa  lot of support which I appreciate.

maratsade

If the TV is streaming stuff from the Web, you will run into the same latency/congestion issue, and this is worse during prime time, when everyone is trying to stream. This may also eat up your data faster. You may want to consider satellite TV, like DirecTV or similar, as that works differently than sat internet and you'd have a much better experience. 

The 5GHz radio is a bit faster than the 2.4GHz one, but it will not make much difference due to congestion/latency. It's just the nature of satellite internet. 😞

Sorry about your quarantine.  Did you get a COVID test? Hope all is well, stay safe!

GabeU

@GeorgeR1 

One of the things both maratsade and I use is PlayOn Cloud.  It's not really an option for when you want to watch an 8:00PM TV show at 8:00PM or anything like that, but it works very well when it comes to movies and/or TV series that you like and want to have on hand.  It takes your chosen streamed items, records them onto a cloud based DVR in real time (a two hour film will take two hours to record), then converts them to an mp4 file, which you then download, either manually, automatically or by scheduling.  The last option is also a great way to take advantage of the 50GB Bonus Zone data without actually having to be up during that time period.

Though they have monthly plans that include a specific number of credits and extended storage time, I only use the recording credits you can buy, which gives me seven days in which to download the file before it's cleared from their servers.  When you buy the Cloud credits they're good forever.  You don't have to use them in a specific amount of time, though again, when you only use the Cloud credits and no monthly plan you have to download the file within seven days.  

You can then play the mp4 files on anything that can play them, and most devices today can do so, including smart TVs.  I save my files on a USB external hard drive, which I then connect to my TV and use its built in player to play them.  You can keep the files forever, and because you're playing the items from an already downloaded file there's no buffering.  Each credit is good for one item, whether that's a ten minute short film, a half hour TV show or a really long movie, and everything in between.  It works with most of the big streaming services, like Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, etc.  

It's just a thought.

Edit:  I should add that you have to have an Android or Apple device in order to run the PlayOn Cloud app, which you use to set up the recordings and such, but you can download them from any device with access to the net and storage enough to hold them, even if only temporarily (until you move them to a larger storage device).  It also has a maximum resolution of 720p, but movies and TV shows still look great.

I also tend to write the mp4s to DVDs and/or Blu Rays for permanent storage, and my Blu Ray player can even play them from the disks.  It can even play them from the USB external hard drive, if I connect it to it.  I mention this just so you're aware that there are many ways you can play them.