cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Hughesnet Voice Require a Rate Center?

What does Hughesnet Voice Require a Rate Center?

It was suggested that I initiate a new thread as a follow up to a conversation deep within the bowels of an already existing thread. So, here goes.
I have been told by Hughesnet Community Support (a.k.a Liz) that Hughesnet voice is not available in my area because "they do not have a relationship with [my area's] rate center". As the principle function of a rate center is to assign phone numbers I was (am) confused as to what the real problem might be.

So, I called the LEC responsible for the rate center in my area. Their support rep has no idea why this would be the case. Especially since Hughesnet doesn not (would not) use their land lines. Nor does the LEC have plans to run telephone lines out to the area in which we live (we are 8 miles from their nearest telephone line).

So, my question to Hughesnet is simply this: What's the hold up? Who or what is in the way of negotiating an agreement?

Thanks, in advance,
Michael
P.S. I would be happey to furnish specifics including my account info and the contact info for the LEC in a private email.
8 REPLIES 8
Associate Professor

Re: What does Hughesnet Voice Require a Rate Center?

Michael, do you have a recent case number if you haven't provided one before?  Alternatively, could you post your modems serial number located on the back or bottom of the unit on a sticker?
Highlighted

Michael, Charles is right ,  in your posting always post as Charles suggested , im thinking you did but your are lost in all the mail really can't remember if you did !!!! but still following  you !!!

I have 4,341,659 case numbers (:-). However, I believe the pertinant case number is #47433075. If that's not the one, give #47412158 a shot.

How this issue came about may be of interest.

To begin,  the Hughesnet web site shows that phone service is NOT available where I live. However, a few days ago I was talking to a local installer who told me that their company had made a number of Hughesnet voice installations nearby (these were new installations, however).

So, I called Hughesnet about getting phone service for my cabin because, as I had just learned and as I explained to the rep, there were other Hughesnet installations in my area (nearby).

The customer rep with whom I spoke could not provide a satisfactory answer to why other customers were able to get voice, but I was not. However, after he had a couple of conversations with a supervisor he agreed to authorize an installation and all was well. Shortly thereafter I got a call from the local installer to schedule the installation. So far, so good. Sadly, a day later I received another call from the local installer informing me that the paper work from Hughesnet did not authorize the phone service but was only an inquiry. So, no installation.

It was at that point that I posted my first note as a reply to a similar issue raised in another thread to which the community rep (Liz) replied that phone service was unavailable because Hughesnet lacked a relationship with the local rate center.

And that's where we stand at the moment. The question? What is the nature of this relationship and what is in the way of establishing such a relationship?

Michael
P.S. I've called the LEC who services my area and they're in the process of looking into this as well.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting. I did get your e-mail last night so we have your account information. Glad to see you were able to get in touch with your local phone company. I've sent this inquiry up to our VOIP department as well. I'll keep you posted.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Would it make a difference to your VOIP department to know that I live in an off-grid community of approximately 100+ part time residents (and only a couple of full time) the vast majority of which are without phone service (because most subscribe to Hughesnet). Moreover, your competitor Excede is unavailable in this area because they are oversubscribed.

Cheers,

Michael

like your attitude there,Michael  but if anyone can get it done Liz can !!!
Admin

Michael - Your question is quite understandable.  And, the size of your community is certainly attractive.  As Community moderators, we typically handle post purchase support.  Questions on marketing and sales agreements are not our specialty.   But, Liz did dive into the VoIP product manager's world to see what we might learn about bringing in currently un-served areas. There's certainly a need, however it's also balanced with the necessity of providing essentials such as emergency 911 service, on a site-site basis.  Lots of factors involved.  We escalated the identified need in your community and we'll see what happens going forward. We do, truly thank you for your business.
Ellen Martz
Senior Director
Hughes Network Systems  

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the reply and update. In the course of your deliberations, I would appreciate it if you would keep in mind that we have no 911 irrespective of whether we have Hughesnet voice service. As a matter of fact, neither do residents who have Excede. Also, many sat phones (I have Global Star) also do not support 911 service. So, whether you're able to support 911 seems irrelevant.

The fact is that there are two large [gated] developments within a few miles of each other [Trouthaven and Miller's Flat] and both are over 8 miles away from the nearest land line. Almost all have Hughesnet and would probably add voice were it to be offered.

Talk to your Hughesnet reps our here (Cedar Point) for even more details about the demand.

cheers,

Michael