cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened a week ago? VERY poor speed off network

New Poster

What happened a week ago? VERY poor speed off network

Hi, all summer my off network speed has been the advertised 1-3mbs, more than enough to watch movies etc.However, the weekend of the Oct 7 the speed went from 1-3mbs to only 80-120kps.This speed is completely useless.Ive called twice, first time we ran a bunch of speed tests WITH data as he gave me a token and it worked fine, but off date speed is near zero, which is the issue.The second time i called the rep wouldnt even listen to me just kept babbling about no data and gave me a token and said check the speed.Speed with data isnt the issue, its when the data runs out.But she wouldnt listen at all so i just hung up.

Keeping in mind that i know data slows down after the monthly allotment runs out, down to 1-3mps,that it has been all summer, and is now only 90kps, anyone have any ideas or experiance this problem?
6 REPLIES 6
Professor

Re: What happened a week ago? VERY poor speed off network

kellog036,

It could be weather related, or a number of other things. As stated on the homepage:

The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Junior

I too noticed a drastic change for the worse with download speed starting a week ago. I usually exceed my data limit about the third day of the new month so was long pasted that. Usually doesn’t impact my ability to stream NETFLIX at lower quality, but speed is so slow it won’t even start. I’m waiting awhile to call customer service to see if it gets better. Always so frustrating to waste time with the first tier of support people. I’ve been a Hughesnet customer for 8 years and have been enthusiastic about GEN-5 until now. 

This morning speed snapshot. Gets worse in the evening:

0B5686C7-A535-44EC-8206-7FA9A24331F5.png

Professor

larrykelly,

• You may want to run your speed tests using Testmy.net. That's the recommended testing site for Hughesnet, because it's the most trustworthy and the one that provides the most data to the engineers. Creating an account is free.  
  • You should run 3 or 4 tests, separated by 5 minutes, and run these batches of tests several times a day, at different times of the day.  This helps create a picture that helps the Hughesnet people diagnose your problem. 
  • You should be connected directly to your modem (do not use wifi)
  • Choose the 25MB file size to test downloads and the 4MB file size to test uploads.

As stated above, many things can influence your speeds -- consistent speeds are not guaranteed. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Junior

Thanks. I very well may do that if I decide to file a case, but for now, suffice to say, I've showed a heck of an obvious difference of bad relative performance on downloads while upload speed remains unchanged using the Customer Care provided tests. 

Professor

It's totally up to you, of course. However, if you would like to resolve the issue (if it doesn't go away by itself), you will need to perform speed tests using the site that Hughesnet requires. 

Junior

Pleased to say that after a weeks’s time, speed returned to what I have been used to with Gen-5. Has remained so for another week. After nearly ten years with Hughs I’ve learned to not get bent out of shape too quickly. 

Thanks for your attention.