cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to Video Data Saver On/Off/Snooze

What happened to Video Data Saver On/Off/Snooze

I can't find it any more in either my iPhone iOS Hughes app or when I log onto my Hughesnet My Account area.

TJ

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Junior

Re: What happened to Video Data Saver On/Off/Snooze

Mine has disappeared everywhere to.

Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety

I don't have the iOS app, but I'm still seeing it in the "Settings" section of the MyAccount site.

Capture.JPG

I'm also still seeing it in the "Video Settings" part of the HughesNet Usage Meter.  

Perhaps power cycling the modem and refreshing the browser would cause it to reappear.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

Hi Gabe,

Video Settings often does not appear on my HughesNet Usage Meter. In the past when that has happened I would go to MyAccount like you suggest. However now when I do that Settings does not appear between Profile and Notifications.

I have restarted my computer, hit the reset button on the HughesNet modem and also unplugged the modem, no change. I am using Apple laptop.

Distinguished Professor IV

@rustythecur

First and foremost, please don't press the reset button on the HughesNet modem unless instructed to by a rep.  It can actually cause more harm than good, and could cause a situation that would require a tech visit to fix, unfortunately.    

With that said, I sometimes see that the Video Settings on my Usage Meter isn't there.  I usually just close it and open it again and it's there, but it sounds like what's going on with you and others using Apple products might be different.  Something's obviously not right.  Smiley Sad  Maybe there is some kind coding issue that's occurred that is specific to Macs.    

Hopefully the reps will be able to shed some light on what may be going on and get it sorted out so you guys can have the VDS back.  It's a handy tool to have, but not if it isn't there.  Smiley Tongue  

@Liz

@Amanda

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

There are a couple of known comms quirks with the Usage Meter. Sometimes the communication breaks down and just doesn't get the right initialization information:
1. One of them is inconsistently identifiying the modem and/or service being used and as a result the Video Settings menu disappears on startup.

2. Another one is displaying the incorrect start date in the cycle, which sometimes shows as a day earlier than normal. I've often theorized this could be overcompensating for the disparity in the larger system's use of Universal Time and local time, but I've seen this happen on occasion after 5am here on the East Coast, so...

In some cases, simply selecting Quit from the Usage Meter menu bar menu on Apples, then restarting it will fix it. Other times quitting, but deleting the "~/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter" folder before restarting is necessary. It's become second nature for me to just delete that support folder when I see any error, to include any JavaScript errors.

Worthy to note that this is not unique to the Usage Meter. I often have to exit and delete the Application Support folder for MacUpdate as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hello,

Thank you everyone for bringing this to our attention! Last night we confirmed the issue and engineers let us know that it should be functional again by 8AM EST (about 45 minutes ago). We'll follow up shortly to confirm this, but if anyone can test it out themselves and let us know if it appears now, that would be helpful.

~Amanda

Distinguished Professor I

FWIW, I never lost that functionality. 

Assistant Professor

Still missing from my Status Meter.

EDIT: Also missing from my.hughesnet.com page.

Advanced Tutor

I've never heard of or seen this button/function, ever. What is it supposed to do? I use a Dell laptop running Windows 10 and an iPhone 5c. I mainly (98% of the time) use the app on my iPhone to do anything Hughesnet related, including accessing the community.