What happened to Video Data Saver On/Off/Snooze

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

What happened to Video Data Saver On/Off/Snooze

I can't find it any more in either my iPhone iOS Hughes app or when I log onto my Hughesnet My Account area.

TJ

28 REPLIES 28
rustythecur
Junior

Mine has disappeared everywhere to.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety

I don't have the iOS app, but I'm still seeing it in the "Settings" section of the MyAccount site.

Capture.JPG

I'm also still seeing it in the "Video Settings" part of the HughesNet Usage Meter.  

Perhaps power cycling the modem and refreshing the browser would cause it to reappear.  

Hi Gabe,

Video Settings often does not appear on my HughesNet Usage Meter. In the past when that has happened I would go to MyAccount like you suggest. However now when I do that Settings does not appear between Profile and Notifications.

I have restarted my computer, hit the reset button on the HughesNet modem and also unplugged the modem, no change. I am using Apple laptop.

GabeU

@rustythecur

First and foremost, please don't press the reset button on the HughesNet modem unless instructed to by a rep.  It can actually cause more harm than good, and could cause a situation that would require a tech visit to fix, unfortunately.    

With that said, I sometimes see that the Video Settings on my Usage Meter isn't there.  I usually just close it and open it again and it's there, but it sounds like what's going on with you and others using Apple products might be different.  Something's obviously not right.  😞  Maybe there is some kind coding issue that's occurred that is specific to Macs.    

Hopefully the reps will be able to shed some light on what may be going on and get it sorted out so you guys can have the VDS back.  It's a handy tool to have, but not if it isn't there.  😛  

@Liz

@Amanda

There are a couple of known comms quirks with the Usage Meter. Sometimes the communication breaks down and just doesn't get the right initialization information:
1. One of them is inconsistently identifiying the modem and/or service being used and as a result the Video Settings menu disappears on startup.

2. Another one is displaying the incorrect start date in the cycle, which sometimes shows as a day earlier than normal. I've often theorized this could be overcompensating for the disparity in the larger system's use of Universal Time and local time, but I've seen this happen on occasion after 5am here on the East Coast, so...

In some cases, simply selecting Quit from the Usage Meter menu bar menu on Apples, then restarting it will fix it. Other times quitting, but deleting the "~/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter" folder before restarting is necessary. It's become second nature for me to just delete that support folder when I see any error, to include any JavaScript errors.

Worthy to note that this is not unique to the Usage Meter. I often have to exit and delete the Application Support folder for MacUpdate as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Amanda

Hello,

Thank you everyone for bringing this to our attention! Last night we confirmed the issue and engineers let us know that it should be functional again by 8AM EST (about 45 minutes ago). We'll follow up shortly to confirm this, but if anyone can test it out themselves and let us know if it appears now, that would be helpful.

~Amanda

maratsade

FWIW, I never lost that functionality. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Still missing from my Status Meter.

EDIT: Also missing from my.hughesnet.com page.

I've never heard of or seen this button/function, ever. What is it supposed to do? I use a Dell laptop running Windows 10 and an iPhone 5c. I mainly (98% of the time) use the app on my iPhone to do anything Hughesnet related, including accessing the community.

@Amanda

It was missing for me early this morning (it's a run day so 'early' means 3am 🤮).

Went thru the drill of quitting it, deleting the support folder, and restarting. Everything was as it should be after that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

@Amanda

It was missing for me early this morning (it's a run day so 'early' means 3am 🤮).

Went thru the drill of quitting it, deleting the support folder, and restarting. Everything was as it should be after that.

Still not there for me after the deleting drill. And doesn't explain it missing from the my.hughesnet.com page.

Not that I really use it much anyway, I always try to reduce the streaming definition at the source.

@Amanda

Still does not work for me.

I am on Ubuntu Linux and tried Chrome and Firefox browsers.  Neither shows the "Settings" menu item under My Account after logging in.  Therefore I can't try the deleting apple items fix posted by others since I am on Loonix.  😉

Also my Hughesnet iOS app still has no video data saver option as it once did.

Therefore I have no way to toggle video data saver on or off.

Regards

TJ

@macsociety wrote:

@Amanda

Still does not work for me.

I am on Ubuntu Linux and tried Chrome and Firefox browsers.  Neither shows the "Settings" menu item under My Account after logging in.  Therefore I can't try the deleting apple items fix posted by others since I am on Loonix.  😉

Also my Hughesnet iOS app still has no video data saver option as it once did.

Therefore I have no way to toggle video data saver on or off.

Regards

TJ

I also power cycled my modem too just in case.

Emptied browser history and cache.

What else can I try?

TJ

Hi TJ,

When simulating your account I am able to see the settings page. What happens when you go directly to the settings page? http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Settings

Also, have you tried incognito mode? 

-Amanda

@Amanda wrote:

Hi TJ,

When simulating your account I am able to see the settings page. What happens when you go directly to the settings page? http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Settings

Also, have you tried incognito mode? 

-Amanda

So I can see them today, even on my iPhone.

So something between my post above and this AM happened and I can see on web browsers and even in my iOS app that did not show it yesterday.

I will run with it.

TJ

Neat! Thanks for the update. I'll keep the thread open for a couple of days longer just in case something pops back up. 

~Amanda

Amanda

Thanks all

I've just jumped on a call with engineering to get more info, I'll post the current status shortly.

@debbie.jean.bro - Video Data Saver is a feature available to HughesNet customers to help conserve data when watching videos online.

These articles should be better at explaining than I can: 

What is Video Data Saver?

Progressive and Adaptive Streaming

Amanda

Hello

Just got off the line. We've reproduced the errors and lack of VDS toggle. Engineering is diving back in to troubleshoot the issue and get it fixed. Thanks to all for getting me quick information to get this to the right people.

Amanda

Amanda

Hi everyone! Just got word this ought to be fixed now. Can those who were still having the issue give it a go now?

~Amanda

Lol. People who weren't now are...

checking.jpeg

I went and tried the delete trick and now have no menu item at all.

Edit: And now the History is gone as well.

history.jpeg