cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens?

What happens?

I am new to the community. I have been subscribing to HughesNet since 2009 and have never used all my data or time on the internet. What happens when you use all your time?
18 REPLIES 18
Junior

Re: What happens?

Hi maryandjerry,
After you use all your data allowance you are throttled back. This is known as FAP (Fair Access Policy)

IF you enjoy your internet often then you have not upgraded to Gen 4 and i highly advise you not to... I NEVER ran out of broadband and i didnt even turn my internet off when i went to bed at night.. then i did the gen 4 thing.. now im down one third of my months allowance already and its only the 13th.. it refilled on the 7th.. February..      now i find out why!   before gen 4 the broadband was replenished every 24 hours now its replenished every 30 days or so.. that means that with gen 4 your broadband  is probably cut over 100 percent.. i gave up math a long time ago and do not wish to calculate it ..its just too worrisome but i betcha its a huge cut and hughesnet is getting rich off it.. for awhile.. i expect a huge law suite over it any day now and im gonna be top of the list.  
Assistant Professor

Just to clarify, satellite internet is not broadband, it is high-speed. There is a big difference.
Junior

Hi maryandjerry,
I began my HN experience with Gen4 and have never had an other kind of service. It's quite adequate and only when I was on the smallest plan available did I have any problems using up all my data.
I upgraded to the middle plan and had plenty of data to last me for the month except that there were periods that I did some large downloads of OSes and such. I found it cheaper to upgrade my plan again rather than buying tokens.
In finality, Gen4 has worked wonderfully for me.

Don  Smiley Happy

I did not sign up immediately for Gen4 from my previous Hughes "daily" plan of 425MB per day, and unlimited during the 2am to 7am period.  The reason was that the Gen4 data caps were actually a reduction in the overall bit-bucket, and with potentially much higher speeds to get one quickly into FAP.  Eventually, the available programs changed to the better, and I have had good service (with regards to download speed and capacity) since.  At that time, there was no alternative for us, but since then, Frontier has made 10Mbps DSL available after waiting 10 years.  I am currently using both.
Advanced Tutor

before gen 4 the broadband was replenished every 24 hours now its replenished every 30 days or so.. that means that with gen 4 your broadband  is probably cut over 100 percent.. i gave up math a long time ago and do not wish to calculate it ..its just too worrisome but i betcha its a huge cut and hughesnet is getting rich off it.
OK, here's the math: The basic Home plan on earlier generation plans was 250 MB per day for $60/mo. Let's just focus on that for now since the daytime bucket is what most people use and are used to. 250 MB per day times 31 days = 7.75 GB per month. The current $60/mo. plan in our area gives you 10 GB per mo. during the daytime, or 25% more than the old plan. In some areas of the country you can get Gen4 plans with 50 GB of daytime data for $60/mo. That's over six times more total data per month that a plan offering 7.75 GB cumulative.

Finally, if you want to stream more than 45 minutes of standard video during daytime hours and not hit your limit then you would be able to do that on a monthly data allowance plan, but not a daily allowance plan.

Jdypat, if you're running out of data on your Gen4 when you weren't before then that is a problem that many have solved here, and you can too. The best way for you to do that would be to post a new, separate topic on the issue you're having and let the community members here help you with that..

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

Also, 425 MB/day = 13.175 GB/mo, less than the 15 GB/mo. Pro Plus plan in our area at $80/mo.

We can argue ad infinitum about the advantages of having unlimited nighttime data vs. 50 GB/mo. but this does not affect most average users who are asleep during that time, have their computers shut off, and wouldn't know how to use schedulers, etc., to get the use out of a (lower speed) unlimited connection during off hours anyway.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Hi Mary!

Donsjgm gave you the perfect answer! We never charge for going over which is nice because there is no surprise $500 bill ! Smiley Happy Let us know if you've got more questions.

Thanks
Amanda

I had the Gen 2 modem and when I called to get voice, they insisted my modem needed updated. I had no problems with the old one, but they made me get this modem. Had a heck of a time getting it working and they had to send a tech out to install the new one. The problem with the new modem was that Hughesnet didn't pre-download the necessary information to for it to work. What does throttled back mean? I still have internet and it will be slow or I can't download movies or what? Also I have my phone through Hughesnet....does that mean I use data every time I make a call?