cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on today?

What is going on today?

I've been on Hughesnet since August, and it's never been this slow. No exceptionally bad weather, just gray skies like we've had many days since then. It's not my computer, my husband is noticing the slowness on his, too.
9 REPLIES 9

Re: What is going on today?

http://screencast.com/t/0rzDb3su - and just to get this, I had to try twice. Like I said, in 4+ months, it's never been this bad.
Assistant Professor

Bill, people do experience severe slowdowns from time to time depending on beam, gateway and the pipes leading out of the gateway into the internet. I have experienced myself.

The big question is how long does it last. I have a very good beam and gateway yet experience severe slowdowns every so often.

andreatx, how long has this been happening. Also if weather is bad at your gateway location it could be slowing down your connection.

Do you know what gateway you go through?
Associate Professor

Hmm, Christmas break started this weekend for most schools, I would say a lot has to do with kids being stuck at home and being online, clogging the pipes up a bit.
Assistant Professor

Here is where you see the beam and gateway you are on: http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=2

Assistant Professor

I expect speed will be slower for the next 2 weeks through New Year. Her one speed test is bad but need more at different times of day to prove a severe issue.
Assistant Professor

PS: Some folks are lucky enough to be on a beam and gateway that is not heavily loaded, especially by kids and families that download a lot of data.

In the end this service is relative to loading. If you are on a beam and gateway where a lot of data hogs live you are screwed to be blunt, the truth. Especially during holidays.

To honest?
Assistant Professor

Rapid City, SD gateway, beam 50. Weather there will negatively impact your service if very bad.

Things are back to normal this morning. Don't know what gateway/beam I'm on, my local weather yesterday was just fine, but I don't know if it's only the local weather that matters.
Either way, I'm glad things are functioning again today. Thanks guys.
Alum

Hi Andrea,

Glad to hear everything is back to normal. I did not see any reports of outages pertaining to your gateway or beam. It could of just been weather at the gateway though. 

- Chris