cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is jupiter 2 supposed to do?

lighthope1
Senior

What is jupiter 2 supposed to do?

So, what exactly is the new Jupiter 2 satellite supposed to bring to the table for us subscribers?

I can imagine it will allow Hughesnet to bring in more customers.  (Isn't satellite internet a shrinking base?  I mean, who actually chooses satellite internet if ANY other choice is available?)

But are we looking at less beam load, thus less traffic shaping restrictions?  More data to move Hughesnet into at least 2006 with more video programming being done on demand?  Increase in FAP?

As a poor subscriber, what will it do for me?

And what will happen if something goes wrong and it gets lost in space?
12 REPLIES 12
Amanda

Re: What is jupiter 2 supposed to do?

Hi lighthope,

We haven't released much official information on it, but this is a pretty good article you can read for now: http://www.hughes.com/resources/satellite-broadband-size-of-satellite-just-one-part-of-the-equation?...

We think this is a great conversation we should have and will come back here to give updates and news as we receive it!

Thank you,
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I heard it will wash your car. Couldn't resist and stuck inside because of weather.  : )
deepdiver1
Freshman

deepdiver1
Freshman

Mordacious

BirdDog waiting for the sun shine
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Isn't satellite internet a shrinking base?  I mean, who actually chooses satellite internet if ANY other choice is available?
No. The number of satellite Internet subscribers is growing, not shrinking.

Pew Research Reports: Nearly 25 million US homes have no Internet access:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/19/census-computer-ownership-internet-connection-varies...

Not everyone lives in a town or city, and Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, et al. aren't interested in serving low population-density areas. It will be quite a while before you have anything but satellite Internet available more than 30 miles outside of places like Moab, Utah.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Also, HughesNet wouldn't spend $500 mil. + to build and launch a new satellite unless they were pretty certain they would recoup their investment plus a profit. They might be rocket scientists but they're not stupid.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I was thinking the same Alan but sigh, sometimes it gets old explaining why a company invests billions over the years in something. Maybe they want to lose money. Of course I'm being sarcastic.

Seems most people don't realize HughesNet has 1 million plus customers. The complaints here are a drop in the bucket even if you add other social media. Not saying problems and complaints aren't valid, just need some perspective.
SonyaA

Yea wish we knew what was going to come out of this new satellite I've been thinking about switching to Hughes but would hate to be stuck with an old package if the new satellite opens up better packages.