Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's location got to do with it?

Freshman

Re: What's location got to do with it?

@maratsade wrote:

"Gen4, no data losses, Gen5 large data losses.  Impossible to prove though"

This is not quite so, though. You can prove it; you just have to be willing to do the detective work. It  may take a while and it may not be easy, but it can be done. 

It's not worth it. I've given up,  I guess I'm just going to have to pay them an extra $20 a a month.  At least I've had the pleasure of venting about it here.

Freshman

@maratsade wrote:

"Gen4, no data losses, Gen5 large data losses.  Impossible to prove though"

This is not quite so, though. You can prove it; you just have to be willing to do the detective work. It  may take a while and it may not be easy, but it can be done. 

It's not worth it. I've given up,  I guess I'm just going to have to pay them an extra $20 a a month.  At least I've had the pleasure of venting about here.

Instructor

@gaines_wright wrote:

It's not worth it. I've given up,  I guess I'm just going to have to pay them an extra $20 a a month.  At least I've had the pleasure of venting about here.

You do realize you're venting about your inability to manage the data in the plan you purchased.

And yet, you find pleasure in doing so.

Professor

@gaines_wright

The zip code required by ViaSat gives them information as to what type of service is available at your location, as, unlike HughesNet, ViaSat's service type varies by location.  Additionally, the pricing difference is basically due to what's available, as what's available to you may be different than what's available to someone 50 miles away.  

As for increased data usage, you may very well be correct.  I use more data with Gen5 then I did with Gen4.  I have a theory as to why, and it has to do with data compression, as in Gen4's being better, but I've not seen any indication that Gen5 "charges" more data than has actually been used, and I've been monitoring it for months.  It may be that, in order to provide a faster, more sophisticated service, the data compression being used had to be changed.  Again, though, I've been monitoring my data usage for months, both with 3rd party apps/programs and a 3rd party router, and I've not seen any indication that Gen5 is "charging" more data than is actually being used.  Gen4 just seemed to have better gas mileage, so to speak.  

In my case, the higher speed, better service, and lower price per GB makes up for the difference.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

@MarkJFine wrote:

@gaines_wright

Actually, I should be more up-front. I saw an earlier post where you stated you were a retired developer.

I'm a retired operating/business unit operations director for a large corporation. IOW: You probably worked for a guy, that worked for a guy, who in turn worked for another guy, who worked for someone like me.

See, you might know how these companies work, but I might be a little more qualified to know how these companies work and why/what/where they are allowed to do it just a little it better than you.

So,whats your point.

Highlighted
Instructor

@gaines_wright wrote:

So,whats your point.

My point, clearly, is that I could tell you anything and you still wouldn't be able to understand it, having now proven this twice.

Sophomore

.. "See, you might know how these companies work, but I might be a little more qualified to know how these companies work and why/what/where they are allowed to do it just a little it better than you." & .. "My point, clearly, is that I could tell you anything and you still wouldn't be able to understand it, having now proven this twice." - is this guy for real??! I was put off by the first comment, the next one made me kinda want to pu*e, the next made me just laugh, and this last one.. just did an eye roll but triggered the compulsion to respond, actually want to offer my insight to the orig poster, gw.. but that will have to wait. I'll just say this, I think your deduction was rather insightful and very business intelligent.. whether it is the case or not.. I challenge anyone .. esp. what's his name to come up with a more plausible explanation.. for the download that IS ... once again, that IS happening, let me guess - pretty much every time you shut down, and to a lesser degree... every time you start-up. and I'm not talking about your normal expected routine shutdown or startup.. that's another thing, all you !@$% dip%^&* stick's that dismiss statements have no business representing this or any other forum.. better find a better way to suggest to the individual that similar instances of blasie blasei ... may have been caused by .... my point is, to dismiss a persons comments descriptions and possible explanations is tantamount - to trouble on a much larger scale. gw, remind me and perhaps we can share some dialogue.. same goes for mf, but of a much diff sort. JT
Sophomore

and why does my formatting not go thru.. ugh!
Instructor

@JT-Hughes

I guess it doesn't matter that his deductions were 100% technically incorrect, not business insightful nor intelligent. I'm not saying he doesn't have a download problem. But unless his modem is stuck in constant update mode (which it doesn't appear to be) the much simpler, more logical explanation is he's just using that much more bandwidth.

There is a slight difference between Gen4 and Gen5. That said, the difference is vastly less than 10% and not even worth arguing about. The reason is that Gen4 actully reports less data than actually used, due to more efficient compression schemes used during transmission.

I've done tests (noted elsewhere on this board, early when Gen5 was rolled out) that despite appearances, Gen5 accurately reflects actual bandwidth used, provided no packet resends are required.

See, it must be true that facts just don't matter anymore. All that matters is the delusion that people are being targeted and ripped off and that delusion should be supported for the good of the order, when the reality is they really just don't understand the technology they're using.

Then there's the whole topic of not being able to take responsibility for one's actions, (incorrectly) blaming it somewhere else, and then bragging about venting about it. 👍🏼

Yeah, I'm for real. Are you for real?

Freshman

I guess it doesn't matter that his deductions were 100% technically incorrect, not business insightful nor intelligent. I'm not saying he doesn't have a download problem. But unless his modem is stuck in constant update mode (which it doesn't appear to be) the much simpler, more logical explanation is he's just using that much more bandwidth............

Then there's the whole topic of not being able to take responsibility for one's actions, (incorrectly) blaming it somewhere else, and then bragging about venting about it. 👍🏼

Yeah, I'm for real. Are you for real?

I think those kind of remarks have no business here, and this is the last time I'm going to respond to one of your flames.