What's the problem with beam 68??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAS
Freshman

What's the problem with beam 68??

I have seen some posts saying that people were having trouble with download speeds if they were on beam 68 ... can you all weigh in on this issue. I am new to Gen5 - on beam 68 - and having terrible trouble with download speeds. The system is VERY frustrating ....

Thanks - Joe Simcoe

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They're having speed issues with Beam 68, especially in the evenings. They're working on the problem.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Aedan
Senior

Hello JAS and Maratsade,

Please check your private messages in the top right-hand corner, as I have sent you more information pertaining to this issue. Thanks.

-Aedan
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Is there a new beam footprint for Gen5 available yet?

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

WOW

This community is going down hill so fast it is not worth coming to for those that want to learn.

REGGIE

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hello Reggie,

Thanks for posting. Is there a particular location that you need more information about? Thanks.

-Aedan
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@Aedan wrote:

Hello Reggie,

Thanks for posting. Is there a particular location that you need more information about? Thanks.

Thank you for responding. No, I was wondering why HN won't post a map of the spotbeams & gateways.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I just wanted to add to my research of Gen5 before I ask for an update. I guess I got the answer I needed to make up my mind.

Thank you

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Reggie,

While Hughes may not volunteer a lot of information, some data is publicly available.

If a user was so inclined they could go to http://www.satbeams.com/satellites?norad=41893 and put beam numbers with the map that has been posted.

It is helpful in my opinion to know the location of one's Gateway due to weather affecting a users service, it helps to know what beam you are on ... Gateway assignment, beam/gateway reputation that sort of thing.

ES19 is rather new, more info will develop over time I'm sure.

Is there a specific question you have?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Satbeams have the beams in wrong places...  Seems "official" designations (where ever satbeams gets info) may not match real world designations...

While I agree, some information should be public knowledge, it's not upto us to decide that...

Go to AT&T and ask them for a map that shows all their cellular towers as coverage areas of those towers.  I bet you will get kicked out fast.  Even the Government couldn't force AT&T to release a map showing their backbone infrastructure.

With that said... It would only take asking a moderator in private which beam and gateway you would be asigned to if you went with Gen5.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

I would like to monitor the beam that I would be using before
I decide. Some of the gateways seem to have more problems than others. The more research I do, the better prepared I will be.

Thank you.

Reggie

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Even the Government couldn't force AT&T to release a map showing their backbone infrastructure.

And that's actually the issue. Why volunteer yourself for potential sabotage or spoofing of your communications infrastructure.

As customers we just have a right to use the product they are selling, not know all of the inner workings of it.

I have similar arguments with sports fans who think just because they pay to support a club they think they have a right to take part in the way the club is run.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.