cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the problem with beam 68??

Associate Professor
Advanced Tutor

Re: What's the problem with beam 68??

I just wanted to add to my research of Gen5 before I ask for an update. I guess I got the answer I needed to make up my mind.

Thank you

Honorary Alumnus

Hi Reggie,

While Hughes may not volunteer a lot of information, some data is publicly available.

If a user was so inclined they could go to http://www.satbeams.com/satellites?norad=41893 and put beam numbers with the map that has been posted.

It is helpful in my opinion to know the location of one's Gateway due to weather affecting a users service, it helps to know what beam you are on ... Gateway assignment, beam/gateway reputation that sort of thing.

ES19 is rather new, more info will develop over time I'm sure.

Is there a specific question you have?

Associate Professor

Satbeams have the beams in wrong places...  Seems "official" designations (where ever satbeams gets info) may not match real world designations...

While I agree, some information should be public knowledge, it's not upto us to decide that...

Go to AT&T and ask them for a map that shows all their cellular towers as coverage areas of those towers.  I bet you will get kicked out fast.  Even the Government couldn't force AT&T to release a map showing their backbone infrastructure.

With that said... It would only take asking a moderator in private which beam and gateway you would be asigned to if you went with Gen5.

Advanced Tutor

I would like to monitor the beam that I would be using before
I decide. Some of the gateways seem to have more problems than others. The more research I do, the better prepared I will be.

Thank you.

Reggie

Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Even the Government couldn't force AT&T to release a map showing their backbone infrastructure.

And that's actually the issue. Why volunteer yourself for potential sabotage or spoofing of your communications infrastructure.

As customers we just have a right to use the product they are selling, not know all of the inner workings of it.

I have similar arguments with sports fans who think just because they pay to support a club they think they have a right to take part in the way the club is run.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.