Hughesnet Community

What the Data!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bontempo8211

What the Data!

So we got Gen5, 20GB data plan and for the second month in a row we somehow managed to use our ENTIRE 20GB in 1 day....ONE DAY!? 

This seems totally impossible to me. I bought the "tokens" and it seem they are applied to the "Bonus Zone" which doesnt help me much bc I work from home alot and need my internet during the day...not at 2am.

Very close to giving hugh net the boot! 

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bontempo8211

First, welcome to the Hughesnet Community.  

To address "missing data," please perform the test outlined in the graphic below. This is known as an isolation test, and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo datahog2_zpsijjnkamn.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem. If on the HT2000W, please disable WiFi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect. It's best when doing step two to capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware that if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occurred, but this should be rather negligible. This is due to the slight lag inherent to the usage meters.

Further, what types of devices do you have connected to your HughesNet service?  Satellite TV receiver?  PCs?  Macs?  Apple devices?  Smart phones?  An Echo or something similar?  

As for the tokens, see below.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Token data is not added to any of your regular  data buckets.

You really have three data buckets:

Anytime  Bytes: 8 am to 2 am

Bonus Bytes: 2 am to am

Token Bytes: used when Anytime  Bytes are depleted

When Tokens are purchased they are not immediately  moved to your Token bucket.

Here is the procedure to make  that data available for use:

There are two methods that can be used to access and manage tokens.
The first method is to open the Download Status Meter:

photo gwalk1_zpsgpnwdaci.png
From its main page click the "purchase tokens" button at the upper right. That will open the following window giving the current status of your Tokens and Token options:
 photo gwalk2_zpsy18cpeqt.png
The second method of access to token management can be found by going to the myAccount webpage:
http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount
Once logged in select the "Meter" tab on the screens upper left then scroll down slightly if needed and click the "Buy Tokens" button as shown below:
 photo gwalk3_zpskxlrensz.png

That will open the following dialog box:
 photo gwalk4_zps5q3khtzw.png
Remember that Tokens that have been "used" from either of the two management screens will, after a short delay, be "moved" to your "Available Token Data" data bucket.

The amount of data that is staged for automatic use can be seen in all three data usage meters:
#1: The Modems SCC meter found at 192.168.0.1
 photo gwalk5_zpsgak9cvdw.png
#2: The Download Status Meter main page:
 photo gwalk6_zps3efbzrls.png
#3: The "meter" tab of the myAccount page:
 photo gwalk7_zps9knzak3i.png

maratsade

I thought all tokens now cost a flat $3. Or is that just for Gen 5?   (BTW, the competition charges A.Whole.Lot.More for tokens. It's like a punishment, or maybe just plain information highway robbery).

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I thought all tokens now cost a flat $3. Or is that just for Gen 5?   (BTW, the competition charges A.Whole.Lot.More for tokens. It's like a punishment, or maybe just plain information highway robbery).

For Gen4 and Gen5, they do cost a flat $3 per GB.  The macro was made when the previous prices were in effect.