Hughesnet Community

What to do about Hughesnet email being blacklisted?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete_Vit
Senior

What to do about Hughesnet email being blacklisted?

So every onece in a while, I post to a professional technical forum and I get email delivery failed due to Hughesnet poor reputaion 

554 "Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. Please reference the following URL for more information: http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=69.168.97.48 If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means."

is there anything that can be done?

thanks

Carmen Vitullo
2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

@Pete_Vit

The part that Talos isn't showing on that link is that the IP is coming up as a hit on six of the 105 spam lists. Even though spamhaus and spamcop are the most used the IP doesn't seem to appear on their list. Regardless, sorbs is widely used and Hughes really should try to fix it.

Chances are what's happening is what's called 'Zombie Spam', where someone on the network has a phone or computer with a virus or malware that's "using" their email credentials to proxy into the HughesNet email system upon demand. It's a huge problem and I see a lot of it on the receiving end of that spam coming through my server every day.

For Tech Support's info, here are the lists that the IP is listed on:
Untitled.jpeg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@Pete_Vit

The part that Talos isn't showing on that link is that the IP is coming up as a hit on six of the 105 spam lists. Even though spamhaus and spamcop are the most used the IP doesn't seem to appear on their list. Regardless, sorbs is widely used and Hughes really should try to fix it.

Chances are what's happening is what's called 'Zombie Spam', where someone on the network has a phone or computer with a virus or malware that's "using" their email credentials to proxy into the HughesNet email system upon demand. It's a huge problem and I see a lot of it on the receiving end of that spam coming through my server every day.

For Tech Support's info, here are the lists that the IP is listed on:
Untitled.jpeg

I suspected someone or some bot was using hughesnet to spam my list, just wondering if hughes can do anything to reslove this. this has happened twice before, then suddenly using my hughenet account works again, so it looks like it's pretty dynamic. 

thanks for the response. 

Carmen Vitullo