Hughesnet Community

What would your Gen 5 packages look like?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

What would your Gen 5 packages look like?

So, what do you think the Gen 5 data packages should be?

50gig Anytime/50gig Bonus - $100/mo
40gig Anytime/50gig Bonus - $90/mo

And on down.  $1 less for each gig you're willing to give up.  On the flip side, $1 more for each gig you want.

50 gigs Anytime is considered baseline.  Offering less I think is being stingy with the data.
52 REPLIES 52
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Nobody knows for sure yet, nothing in concrete. Not sure official reps who monitor and help here know for sure.
lighthope1
Senior

I didn't ask what they were. I asked opinions on what they should be.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I'm sure many think they "should be" unlimited which they won't. Not a good poll question.
GW
Advanced Tutor

10/10/10/10 plan. I think it should be 10 GB per month, 10Mbps reliable download speed and a cost of $10 a month plus $10 per GB for overages..
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Unlimited for $90 a month with guaranteed 10 Mbps. Might as well shoot for the moon.

$10 a month on satellite....lol.
GW
Advanced Tutor

You didn't read the fine print. Inexpensive service for the few who can control their usage. Data hogs pay for the bird.
udanwudeligv
Junior

At least whatever it takes to stream a show during peak hours like other people, but yeah not holding my breath on that one. The SPEED needs to be better. I can basically live with top tier if needed but just the ability to stream something in the evenings would be good. But yeah Rush hour traffic is not how they build interstates either.
I will take whatever increase Gen5 has to offer, but hope the cost doesn't go up much because I'm pretty sure we're already paying more than non-satellite users for less and less quality of service. Yep it's the price I pay for living in the boonies-but they have to keep up.
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

Just waiting to see what they offer in plans. I think anytime allowance should be no less than 50 GB. Someday they have to give us enough to be able to live in this new cyber world..
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Might as well shoot for the moon.
Personal beams.
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

That's my sentiments exactly, maratsade. They might as well know what we think and what we want. We all know we don't always get everything we want. Hardly ever, really.
GabeU

Whatever it is, I'm still waiting for the blue beam from my Gen4 dish!  Every time I see a Gen4 ad it's as if it is saying "Neener, neener, neener!  We have blue beams coming out of our dishes and you don't!  Neener, neener, neener!"  🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

We can stream fine at about 2 Mbps if it is steady on Netflix low definition which looks fine to wife and I on all devices including 55" TV.

Hopefully they can provide that as a minimum even during peak hours for everyone.
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

That would be pretty wonderful, BirdDog.
foxbrook
Sophomore

Don't know how accurate it is, but I did come across this article.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/hughesnet-gen5-satellite-internet-service-coming-april-1st/
lighthope1
Senior

Those numbers are pretty stingy.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What are your expectations for a satellite internet connection?

GabeU

What I hope is this.  I hope that if the new modem has built in WiFi we can shut that part off and still use our own wireless routers. I recently discovered that the competition has a modem that has built in WiFi, but if you want to use your own wireless router, you can't, as it doesn't have an "internet" port on it.  It has four LAN ports, but none with the ability to use with a wireless router.  And even worse, if you don't want to use WiFi at all, there is no way to shut the WiFi off!  That's downright rotten.  

I sure hope the designers of the new Gen5 modem were nicer than what the competition is stuck with.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amen to that!
lighthope1
Senior

What are your expectations for a satellite internet connection?

Exactly what I said in the OP.

50gig Anytime/50gig Bonus - $100/mo
40gig Anytime/50gig Bonus - $90/mo
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Mostly then its a matter of price?