Hughesnet Community

What would your Gen 5 packages look like?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

What would your Gen 5 packages look like?

So, what do you think the Gen 5 data packages should be?

50gig Anytime/50gig Bonus - $100/mo
40gig Anytime/50gig Bonus - $90/mo

And on down.  $1 less for each gig you're willing to give up.  On the flip side, $1 more for each gig you want.

50 gigs Anytime is considered baseline.  Offering less I think is being stingy with the data.
52 REPLIES 52
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If the website is accurate, the top tier will pretty much be what is available to select places already.  The lower tiers will give a little more than previous lower tiers, though, so that's good.  For what I'm paying now (and $10 less starting next month when my discounts end), I could get 5GB more Anytime Data.  

I think this new satellite is more for easing up on constricted beams, giving the customers closer to their UP To speeds and expanding their customer base rather than actually increasing the existing plans, though, as shown in the website, the lower and middle tier plans will change a little.  Basically "bettering" what they already have.  

I'm actually okay with all of that.  I would rather see them improve on what they have than try to jump forward.  

lighthope1
Senior

Mostly then its a matter of price?
No, it's a combination of data and price.

Would 50g @ $10 be reasonable?  Enjoyable, yes.  But reasonable?

I'm sure HughesNet would love to be on the opposite end.  3g for $100.  Of course, they'd be out of business in a month.

So, as a reasonable human being, I'm attempting to combine what I feel is an adequate value for my money.

50g for $100 is an acceptable value to me.

30g for $100 is not.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I don't think Hughes would make it to where we can't disable Wifi or have control over it...  They have been very good about letting us control things like WAS (Web-Accel) so why not the wifi?

The way I see it, if they do the Wifi part of the modems right, the average user shouldn't need their own router or wireless access point.  As far as not being able to hook up your own, you can, you would just end up in a double-NAT unless you put the device into a bridge or access point mode and configure it properly.

In the end it all comes down to, they want this to work for the AVERAGE user, those of us with fancier things might have to find different solutions... In my case I would have to live life with a double-nat and disable Wifi on the modem, unless they also let me turn DHCP on the modem off, then I could very easily avoid double-nat.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If it doesn't allow the user to monitor per device usage or then at least allow use of own router to then monitor usage, it will be a no go for me.

For me device monitoring is essential.
GabeU

Is a "double-nat" something bad?  Would it make using our own wireless router difficult?  
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Double-Nat is bad as it makes traffic routing pretty much impossible.  Granted since we don't have incoming connections it's not as much of an issue...

But imagine being behind a 192.168.0.x(Modem), then yet another 192.168.1.x(Router)  That's two sets of private address space that would require port triggering/forwarding and since we can't forward/trigger with a Hughesnet modem we are in a bad place.  Granted, it's still virtually pointless as I said earlier, we don't have incoming connections. But, with IPv6, yeah things could get a bit messy.

At this point with Jupiter One we are already behind ONE layer of NAT at the ISP(granted this is a bit different than what you see in a home), add in a Router and you are behind two levels of NAT.

With the HN9000 you was behind the ISP NAT, the Modem NAT, then people like me would throw on our own wifi-router and end up with even more NAT.  Makes life a royal pain if you want to game sometimes.

So yeah, I can see why Viasat didn't bother letting users control their modems, they just don't care and hinge on "Typical User".  But Hughesnet historically has let users control some aspects of their modems for people like us that have special circumstances from time to time.
GabeU

Well, being that I don't monitor traffic with my router, if the new modem was made in such a way that using my own router could cause problems, it won't be the end of the world.  It's just that I like to use what I have and what I'm used to.    

I know you are probably aware that I haven't a clue about some of what you just said, but I know you posted it for other people, too.  

I guess we'll know soon enough.  Though, as with anything that we have that works well, I'll be somewhat hesitant to upgrade if and when offered, as what I have I am used to and works well enough for me.  Sure, five more gigs for $10 less would be nice, and the possibility of not being able to easily use my present router would NOT be a deterrent, but if my speed dropped to around what my "up to" speeds are for the package, I wouldn't be very happy.  I would regret having upgraded.  Right now I have well enough, and I like my 30Mbps during off peak periods.  

With that said, time will tell whether it will be worth upgrading if I can.  Once I see how the new system works for others, that will make the decision for me.  

GabeU

if the modem is wifi only and doesn't have ethernet ports, how can customers run speed tests and expect to get accurate results?
I don't think it would be WiFi only.  It should still have LAN ports, just possibly not the "internet" port, like the one you can connect a router to like we have now, so we should at least still be able to direct connect.  After all, without the ability to connect with a LAN, they wouldn't be able to get nearly as many customers, as lot of people just use a desktop.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, it would be regular LAN ports but no WAN/Internet port so personal router could not be put between modem and local network.

For me a killer if Gen 5 will leave me with no way to monitor per device usage. I don't like the software solutions.
GabeU

The thought of not being able to upgrade because of that is a little disheartening.   It will make it easier for the average Joe or Jane, though, so I can see it from both sides. 

I have yet to be able to find anything technical on the modem, but I've been searching.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

BirdDog,

In your case, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to turn the wifi on the modem off and just connect the WAN port of your router to the LAN port on the modem, shouldn't have any issues doing that, just make sure that you have proper IP addressing...  Depending on software you could possibly set it for bridge mode and still get your good traffic monitoring.

As for finding anything technical, the only thing Hughesnet has published is the white-papers that I linked back around Christmas on here.
GabeU

Ah, I don't remember seeing that, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't show anything regarding this.  I'm sure it won't be long before something is available to look at.  
jimmie_evlyn
Sophomore

That sounds pretty good to me. It would be double my present bandwidth allowance at the same price. Maybe someday, they will give us unlimited on satellite. I just hope the speed and reliability will be there, as well.
GabeU

It would be nice, but if it happens it will be years from now.  The problem is, even as they send up more satellites, the need for bandwidth increases, and it will take a HUGE increase in bandwidth, many times what's available now, to offer unlimited plans today, but tomorrow it wouldn't be enough bandwidth to do so.  The data "needed" is outpacing the data available, unfortunately.  

If they had the capacity they do now in 2002, they might have been able to offer an unlimited plan, but it wouldn't have been around for long.  

As for the plans available, that would be nice for you to be able to double your data for the same price.  

GabeU

I don't know if the info at satbeams is correct, but one thing I wanted to make sure of before even thinking about upgrading when/if that option becomes available is my beam placement.  If the site is correct, I am in a good position, but I'm not taking that as concrete until it is actually being sold.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Bummer is right but I'll bet costs are as high as a geo-sync orbit.

Haven't seen any numbers posted for EchoStar XIX but ViaSat posted the up coming ViaSat-2 bird at $625 million plus another $107 million for launch and insurance costs. That doesn't even factor in building or upgrading Gateways.

While the Gateway investment can be "reused" the satellite has a typical lifespan of 15 years.

That gets into some serious money and $130 per month doesn't go far towards the next payment.

Remember the ground based Big Boys already told us by their absence that we rural users are not worth their investing in despite a lower investment cost that can be used over a much greater period.

A matter of perspective I guess.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

jezra,

I know that you know ... I only posted because someone, somewhere is going to "squawk", feel that their "entitlement" has been violated and have to head off at High Speed to their Safe Place in order to protect their fragile sanity.  🙂

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I agree 100%.

The FCC has a legal definition of "Broadband" and Hughesnet does not meet that definition.

I seem to remember Hughes getting its feet dirty when they used the term "broadband unbound" in some advertising in years past.

I do have a choice though .... I could move to where Broadband is available.

Life is all about options, all about trade-offs. Everything is about compromise, nothing is about "entitlement".

Now where is my next Social Security check!

GabeU

Now where is my next Social Security check!
On a Direct Express card that you can't use to make online payments to Hughesnet.  LOL.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Debating whether SS is an "entitlement" is a discussion we could debate for hours elsewhere.  🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I know, I chose that word deliberately 🙂