Hughesnet Community

When will Gen 5 get better? It's been nine months of **bleep** for those of us on beam 55

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3R
Freshman

When will Gen 5 get better? It's been nine months of **bleep** for those of us on beam 55

Okay, it's been more than nine months since Gen 5 (beam 55 in particular) went down the toilet, and although recently there are times when I've been able to watch something *mostly* uninterrupted on the lowest video setting on Netflix, it's still impossible to watch anything on Amazon even on the lowest setting. WHEN WILL YOU FIX THIS?????

Meanwhile I see from the boards that Hughes is still busily signing people up and promising high speeds and charging a fortune, all the while knowing that they can't deliver for the customers they already have. Then people end up here wondering why they aren't getting what they paid for. 

Hello, Hughes Net? How about some answers????? 

13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Because Amazon uses Progressive Streaming, it tends to not work as well as Youtube or Netflix, which use Adaptive Streaming.  The following is a recent post from Liz concerning this very topic...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/YouTube-Amazon-streaming-buffering-stalling/m-p/9621...

maratsade

Explains why Amazon Prime can be so rubbishy. 

@GabeUwrote:

Because Amazon uses Progressive Streaming, it tends to not work as well as Youtube or Netflix, which use Adaptive Streaming.  The following is a recent post from Liz concerning this very topic...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/YouTube-Amazon-streaming-buffering-stalling/m-p/9621...

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Would be better to lobby Amazon to update their streaming technology to adaptive. All their customers would benefit, not just those on satellite.

PS: Amazon streaming is pretty bad on my well performing Gen 4 system also. Again, more to do with the technology Amazon is using.

RT_Savell
New Poster

I just read the 3 replies before me and they blame Amazon for Netflix being slow or really just Gen 5 being slow in general. REALLY! I agree, when are you going to fix it? I was a sucker who upgraded from Gen4. So is Gen 6 next? Will Gen 6 be 4 with a tune up and less traffic then 5 will be the ne t Gen7 after us suckers swap to Gen6 huh.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@RT_Savellwrote:

I just read the 3 replies before me and they blame Amazon for Netflix being slow or really just Gen 5 being slow in general. 

Say what? Nowhere did I say or read anyone saying that.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@jezra, my response was about this portion of OP's problems, "it's still impossible to watch anything on Amazon even on the lowest setting."

Was only saying that even if beam 55 is working at optimum performance Amazon will most likely still not stream well. I'm on one of the better Echostar 17 beams (Gen4 plan) and Amazon streaming has always been finicky and mostly bad. Even when it streams well it still looks like doo doo and that is saying a lot from me who is fine with Netflix set to low definition.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GW
Advanced Tutor

@jezrawrote:

@BirdDog all of the replies were in regard to Amazon being problematic and possibly at fault.

None of the replies were about HughesNet's abyssimal response to the September 2017 event that left beam 55 with such horrid download speeds

What was the September event?

GabeU

@GWwrote:

@jezrawrote:

@BirdDog all of the replies were in regard to Amazon being problematic and possibly at fault.

None of the replies were about HughesNet's abyssimal response to the September 2017 event that left beam 55 with such horrid download speeds

What was the September event?

When Gen5 speeds started to dump for a lot of people, but especially for those on specific beams, with Beam 55 probably being one of the most, if not the most, affected.  

Edit:  I should add that for many it was quick, but gradual, while for others it was as if someone flipped a switch.  

GW
Advanced Tutor

That's the first time I heard this termed as an "event". This made me wonder if there was an undisclosed event like cosmic debris knocking the satellite cattywhompus to goof up everybody's performance.

Actually, my performance started hitting the wall in August but recently recovered.

GabeU

@GW

Mine actually started sliding toward the end of October and then started recovering toward the end of January.  

Capture.JPG

GW
Advanced Tutor

Cool graph. I'll have to go see if I can make one of those.

GabeU

@GWwrote:

Cool graph. I'll have to go see if I can make one of those.

Just make sure to set the days at the top to 365 (90 is the default), and then view as many of your Hughesnet results as you can so it shows as much in the graph as possible (1000 is the max), and make sure to select the identifier you use for Gen5 if you use one.  If you have multiple ISPs that you test with, make sure to to show it by provider, too, so that you only get the HughesNet results.  

I've used "5" as an identifier (location) to keep my Gen5 results separate from Gen4.  

Capture.JPG