cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did my anytime allowance go?

Where did my anytime allowance go?

Almost every day, I turn my computer on and my anytime allowance is FAR below 100%, like today it was 50%. My computer is set to ONLY download updates when I OK it., and I checked that none have been downloaded today. I don't understand what happened to the other half of my anytime allowance. It just went "POOF"!
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Where did my anytime allowance go?

Mine has been disappearing wildly, too.

Good morning Patti,

Thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data, you may want to check up on whatever may be applicable to you:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

If you're unsure of where to start tracking where your data is being used, you can start by isolating the HughesNet modem to see if that is the source of the unidentified data usage.

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Let us know if you have any additional concerns we can address for you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Thanks for your reply, Liz.  I don't have a wireless router, so wi-fi usage is not the issue.  I turned off auto updates some time ago, so that's not the issue either. Quite a long  time ago I disabled auto play on FB, and I downloaded the status meter some time ago, too.  But, my anytime issues continue.  So, ??????

Thanks for your reply, Liz.  I don't have a wireless router, so wi-fi usage is not the issue.  I turned off auto updates some time ago, so that's not the issue either. Quite a long  time ago I disabled auto play on FB, and I downloaded the status meter some time ago, too.  But, my anytime issues continue.  So, ??????

You're welcome Patti. No router? Good, that narrows your search down to one computer. Other subscribers here like yourself have used third-party programs such as GlassWire or Net Guard to monitor network usage to see what programs or processes are using your data. Those could be useful in pinpointing data sources on your computer. If you have any questions about using GlassWire or Net Guard, we suggest checking their support resources on their websites or asking here, we have folks experienced with those programs who may lend a hand.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

I do not do audio, video, facebook , tablet turned off, no smart phone and since spaceway fix, start every day at less than 100%. Turned off updates also.

I have the same problem. Since spaceway was repaired The last two days my starting allowance has been 78% & 70%. Shut off downloads, unplug modem & computer every night. Allowance going so fast I unplug the modem when I go for bath room break or any time I leave the house. Never had to do this before.

Hi jdepetro2,

I really recommend checking out this article. If you still have questions please make a new post

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Thanks
Amanda

im having the same problem  in the same time period, never happened before- no changes in usage or computer. Home tech has determined there is nothing on my one computer ( no other devices) that could be causing this. Hughes has a problem and doesnt seem to want to admit it