cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did my data go?

Where did my data go?

How is it possible that the data log is saying I used almost 158 in downloads from just being on Facebook for less than 1 hour from 7-8 am pacific time? Does anyone have an idea? And no, I did not download anything. Just viewing content. Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Where did my data go?

Hi Cholette,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions there: 

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

IDK, you act like I haven't tried that before. I have data usage even when I am not home for several days, and when I have the modem unplugged. I shouldn't have to work so hard at this. I think you need to provide a quality, reliable product.
Honorary Alumnus

Cholette,
There has been some substantial "changes" in Microsoft Windows lately.
These are mostly related to Win10 but now extend far beyond that.
If you have "reserved" or are presently running Win10 it either is downloading in the background or is "sharing" data like mad.

If you are running Win7, 8, 8.1 then recent updates are causing those OS's to emulate the "sharing" of data in the same manner of Win10.

I invite you to read the following:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30251106-Updates-Make-Windows-7-and-8-Spy-On-You-Like-Windows-10

And several of the more pertinent topics posted here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/microsoft

These are background process, you will not see then running.

There are only three places data can "go":

#1: On the Hughes "end" and this can be determined by a modem isolation test.

#2: On the users end either by a device connected wirelessly or by a single computer directly connected.

#3: In the form of "inflated" usage by legitimate devices.

There are procedures and tools to address each of these.

Hey Cholette

If you looked at any video or a lot of pictures then 158mb wouldn't be uncommon.  On the other hand if all you did was read then that is way to much.  There are some Facebook pages that auto play video clips this to will use data as well.

I don't watch video. I couldn't if I wanted to. Connection is too slow. I only read content. And my computer doesn't have a virus.

Hi Cholette,

If the modem was using significant amounts of data, I would love to show this to our engineers. This is why we have folks follow these illustrated steps so they may post those screenshots here in the community. That would be the modem isolation test as Gwalk stated in #1 in his reply.

Please follow the illustrated steps, if the screenshots do show unusual usage activity, we'll send them directly to the engineers here at corporate so they can address your concerns.

We look forward to seeing your data.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

OK agree with Cholette, I can't watch any videos either they won't download! My data won't be back up until next Tuesday. Hard to run a business this way

Hi Cholette,

Never heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz