cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does my data go?

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Where does my data go?

In many cases software does NOT do as its told (such as my Garmin GPS updater)

I posted this in an effort really as an example of the number of ways that devices and software can connect to a users network and use date without a users knowledge.

The more complex the "network" the greater the chance of software or hardware doing an end-around of users connection and consuming their data.

Sadly it is easier to believe that their ISP is "stealing" their data.

I surrender Smiley Sad
Assistant Professor

Don't give surrender! Background data bleed is real. I was only posting what I do to stop it.
Honorary Alumnus

Nothing to do with you BDSmiley Happy
Its a uphill battle with those that  .... have no desire to learn or understand.
Advanced Tutor

If you surrender how can get the best advice? I need all the help I can get.
Distinguished Professor IV

It's Eleven O'clock, do you know where your devices are? 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

One of mine just said she was going on a date and got in a car with a sketchy looking iPhone. I'm gonna be up all night!

I loved those old TV public service announcements...lol.
Highlighted

Hibernation has always been a fine line. Personally, I have locked down my Nexus 6 and it has been great. You can set certain Wi-Fi networks to act like Cellular when it comes to "restricting data", which prompts alerts if an app wants to do a large download, use Data Saver mode (prevents some apps from downloading/uploading in the background, you can unrestrict specfic apps manually), keep Wi-Fi on/off during sleep (consider setting to off), disabling push notifications, setting e-mail retrieval to manual, restricting auto-sync for photos, videos, music, books and certain Google Play store apps that like to sync to Drive.

Thanks
Amanda