cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where has my data allowance gone?

Where has my data allowance gone?

I have  watched my data allowance disappear at an amazing rate yesterday & today; then I used a token - it disappeared in like 10 minutes. I was not on any video, gaming, or music sights...what's happening? I predict  that the problem will be blamed on my computer, even though I have Norton 360 security.
41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted

Re: Where has my data allowance gone?

Jay, I'm in the same boat.  I've been reading the forum and it sounds there are many of us.  They are calling it 'data drain'.  

Trish

Thanks for your reply -  I shut down my computer because it was continuing to happen even as I wrote my original comment. 

I could give the problem a name just as easily as someone at HughesNet can. But do you have any indication of what the problem is or what HughesNet is possibly doing about it - or are they just saying "Tough luck, s--t happens"?

I've been having major glitches in the hughesnet status meter, personally, Jay. Having it not budge for days, and then have 6 GB disappear overnight while I'm asleep and everything is shut down. It's absolutely ridiculous. 
Sophomore

I just started having the same problem today. My usage reset today and already I have 9.3 gb left and I haven't been home and nothing was connected..It seems like there is always new problems with hughesnet..

Same here. I have never used anywhere near my monthly GB and this week I went from 10 to 5 to 2 to 0 in three days. Have nothing right now except between 2am-8am.

I used to think that I had the same problems that you guys have mentioned, until this Sept. when I found out that it was not hughesnet's doing at all, nor problems with my modem or pcs in my family. But it was what we were doing. 

Most of you did not mention which plan you have except for Jerry Cwiklinski so I don't know how many Gigs the others of you do have. But if you should only have 10 Daily and 10 Bonus Bytes, I don't know how long you expect them to last if especially if you use you pcs for anything for so many hours a day.

I have the top usage, 20 Daily and 20 Bonus Gigs and I personally am on my pc for at least 6 hours each day during the Bonus Time With what I do and that is only Facebook, email, checking my bank, and a game site called Gold Token, I use less than 1 gig per day. But there are 3 other family members who use the net daily also, but not usually as many hours as I do. And there is 1 other family member who also uses the net daily when he is home from college. At times we have used up all our usage in about 2-2 1/2 weeks time. But I did find out that was no fault of hughesnet, it is just what some others were doing. I know this because when I kept after them to stop most of the downloads and uploads they were doing they usage went down at a much slower rate.

At least now our daily usage lasts 3 weeks most of the time, and if no one but me uses the Bonus Time, I never have to worry about it being used up for the whole month.

Just saying, but I now think that people should not be so quick to put the blame on hughesnet just because they see so many others have done so.

Janice, I think you should give people the benefit of the doubt in most cases, as to what is being said here. I have a very basic data allowance allotment, so I tend to keep a close eye on my usage. No one else uses my computer.  A couple of hours ago, I turned on my computer, checked my e-mail, saw my status meter at 84% (even though my computer was off since yesterday). I then turned off my computer, and when I turned it on again a few minutes ago, I am seeing my status meter at 50%. Something is wrong, and it is not me or my computer.  Just sayin'...

Janice, both myself and my partner are professional IT administrators, so are more aware than many what we need to be doing.  We were getting along for about 3 weeks out of four, for a month also.  In the last month or so, it has radically changed, but our habits have not.  It is definitely not a bad habits issue.  I agree with you, that people need to be very aware of what they are doing...

That's all very well and good Janice, but here's the thing: I am the only person in my home, I have the only computer in my home, and unless my livestock have suddenly decided to get on the internet while I'm asleep, 6 GB disappearing overnight when ALL MY DEVICES ARE TURNED OFF is insane and ridiculous. 

I am not some older person who has limited knowledge of computers and the internet. I'm in my 20's, I use my computer for my job, I use the internet for my job. My Dad is a retired IT Tech and even he knows the lines hughesnet feeds us are crap. Last week, hughesnet told me that it was faulty wiring in my house that was causing my crappy internet connectivity. Amazing deducting, considering the tech stepped into my house for five seconds to look at where the modem was positioned and then left. A few months before, hughesnet told me it was my computer! I must have a virus. Guess what? I didn't. And I don't have faulty wiring in my home, either. Hughesnet just doesn't want to bother fixing any problems. 

I am happy that hughesnet is working for you. It is not working for me and and many other people because hughesnet is a corrupt and predatory company that does not provide the services it promises.

I have spent a lot of time tracking hughesnet status meter. I have spent an hour timing myself on certain web sites, and checking the GB used, and then visiting the SAME exact web sites for the same exact time and then checking the GB. Every single time, there's a drastic difference in data used. My status meter started randomly re-setting itself for a week and a half, and then decided it didn't want to do that anymore and ate half of my GB up in seconds. That IS hughesnets fault. As is the fact that they lie to their potential customers about data limits and speed and connectivity and things they're able to do on the internet to get you to sign up for an account.

I am not blaming hughesnet because I see others doing so. I am not some sheep incapable of independent thought. I'm blaming hughesnet because it's the worst internet I've ever experienced, the status meter software is obviously faulty, the data-cap is ridiculous for anyone who does ANYTHING on the internet other than load email and I was made false promises about what I could and couldn't do on the net. I would have bought a different HOUSE if I'd known how bad this would be. I work from home and it's lost me THOUSANDS of dollars in the last year in writing and research time. 

So please don't tell me it's not hughesnet fault just because you have people in your house that were using your data. Not everyone is in the same living situation as you, not everyone has the same experience as you. That doesn't make those experiences non-legit. And considering if you look at these boards, it is filled with nothing but displeased hughesnet customers, I think hughesnet is a lot more at fault than you'd like to think for some strange reason.