Where is my data going?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracyS71
New Poster

Where is my data going?

I give up! I’ve called and called tech support, billing and anyone else that will listen! I refuse to keep paying for service that I don’t really get to use! Within two maybe three days we are out of data! How??? We do not have many devices connected to the WiFi modem. 3 phones is basically it, we do not stream videos, and always disconnect from WiFi when we aren’t using it...not to mention it’s slow as heck!!!! every time I have called they tell me we have at least 5 devices connected! Once it was 10!??? How is that possible? Most of which I have never heard of. Yes Ive seen the posts of doing the test.... sorry but that’s all Greek to me! I get 6 gb of data with my phone service a month... I can stay on my data all day everyday, watch videos, update apps, and even let my 2 daughters use my hotspot& don’t use Up the 6 gb in a month! So how is it we are using 10 gb in two days???? Fixing to switch to another service carrier! I’m throwing money out the window that I don’t have
8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@tracyS71 

This is going to be somewhat long, and it's a two parter.  I'll separate the two parts with a line.  

The first thing you should do is check to see what is connected to your HughesNet modem, and what was connected, but is no longer, since the last time the modem was powered (when it's unplugged it loses its logs).  You can do so here.  This will show you both LAN connected and WiFi connected devices.  But, with that said, it will only show you devices that are connected directly to the HughesNet modem, so if you use a 3rd party router, anything that's connected via that 3rd party router you won't see, as you'll only see the router connected.  But, if you don't use a 3rd party router and you only use the HughesNet modem, you should be able to see everything connected.  Again, this is only since the last time the modem was powered, as the modem's logs are erased when it's unplugged.  I give this as the first thing due to people sometimes forgetting about specific devices being connected.  

If you have a satellite TV receiver connected to your HughesNet service, you should disconnect it, as satellite TV receivers can use data for a lot more than just on demand streaming, and there is no way to control how much is used.  

Also, and this isn't to question anyone's integrity, but there have been times on here where people are having data issues, only to finally discover that a family member (usually a kid) is secretly using the data, and usually for streaming.  Again, this isn't to question the integrity of anyone using your service, but it's presented as a possibility, as it has happened to others.  

Another possibility is Cloud services.  If the phones are connected to a Cloud service, such as the iCloud, that can use a LOT of data, even if it doesn't seem to when connected via your mobile data, instead.  This can be due to a setting that stipulates to only use the Cloud when connected via WiFi.  You'll have to check your phone's apps and settings to make sure this isn't happening.

Lastly, this thread and this thread may also help.  Both threads contain quite a bit of information regarding data usage and data loss. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the second part.  It's a test, and it requires the use of a LAN cable (Ethernet cable) connected device, as you'll see in the instructions.  If you don't have a LAN cable connected device the test cannot be performed.  

This is a test that you can perform to ensure that no data is "leaking".  It's a test that you have to perform, as it has to be done from your location (a rep can't remotely do this for you).  The test will show whether any data is arbitrarily being used by the system.  The chances of this happening are almost VERY low, but this test will show if it is.  The graphic doesn't include the part about disabling the WiFi, as it was created before Gen 5 and the HT2000W's built in WiFi was available, but please be sure to disable the WiFi as stated in the written instructions.  

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below. This is known as a modem isolation test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock displayed on your computer.
7: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please DO NOT unplug the modem power after running the test. The reps need to be able to reconcile the test results with the modem logs, and disconnecting the power from the modem erases those logs.

Please be aware that, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occurred, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).    

3puttbob
New Poster

I too seem to use more than I should on regular time.  Still don't have a clear definition of Bonus Zone time.  A tech told me 2 to 8 am Eastern time.  Everywhere else just says 2 to 8 am.  Anyway, I ran the leak test at 8:55 this morning for 4 hrs. They didn't change at all.  I think it's because I try to download movies off peak hours.  What ever they are in the Los Angeles area.

maratsade

" Still don't have a clear definition of Bonus Zone time.  A tech told me 2 to 8 am Eastern time.  Everywhere else just says 2 to 8 am. "

Bonus zone is 2 to 8 am wherever you are; LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston.  Whenever the clock hits 2 am in your area, your bonus zone starts. 

GabeU

@3puttbob 

First and foremost, you should edit your SAN out of the posted picture.  This is your account number, which you should NEVER post in public.  You can edit your post by clicking on the three dots to the upper right of the message body and clicking "Edit reply".  

Secondly, when you run the modem isolation test it is important that your computer's clock is shown in the snapshots.  There is no context to those snapshots, so they don't tell us anything.  They are also not of the same source (the Usage Meter).  To properly run the modem isolation test, a snapshot should be taken of the Usage Meter just before the LAN cable is disconnected, and with the computer's clock included, and the same after the LAN cable is reconnected.  

Lastly, if you are having an issue with your data usage, please start a new topic in Tech Support.  This will keep your issue separate from the OPs, and it lessens confusion in the thread.

Didn't even think about the SAN thing.  Thanks.  My numbers were immediately before and after pulling/replacing the cable.

Spiveyclan
New Poster

Thank you. I thought I was alone in this nightmare
Spiveyclan
New Poster

GabeU

@Spiveyclan wrote:

You already posted that in this thread.  Please refrain from spamming.