cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yankee91
New Poster

Where is my data going?

Hello All 🙂
I'm courious to know if there is a specific way I can tell where all our data goes? We have 2 iPads & 2 iPhones. Each month our data is all used up by the 2-3 day of our cycle which I don't understand how. So I'm hoping to find a way to pin point where all our data goes & why so quickly. Thank you for any help. We have Gen 4 & a Belkin wifi router. We no longer have a computer just iPads n iPhones. Thank you for ANY INFORMATION you can give me. I'm almost to the point of canceling Hughes net! It just doesn't seem right to pay all this money for only a day or so then all data is gone.
Respectfully Theresa
10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

yankee91,

Welcome to the community!

I personally am not too familiar with Apple products, but your best course of action will be to install a third party application such as "My Data Manager" to track each individual device.  You should also make sure that any Cloud Sync like services are disabled so that the devices aren't constantly backing up their data.

Further, you may want to check and ensure only your devices are on your Wifi network, it may be best to change the Wifi password on your Belkin router.  Aside from that the only other advice I can really offer is the following if you still have issues with data loss.

The test below is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo datahog2_zpsijjnkamn.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hello Yankee91, Welcome to the Community,

Normally I would suggest that you load a free program like GlassWire on your computer but you  ... have no computer.

The fact that you have wireless router means that you have the potential for multiple connection paths, both wired and wireless as well as a number of router settings related to security that may or may not be properly or completely set.

Software doesn't always do as it's told. I have software for my Garmin GPS updater that proceeds to run as a background process despite being set not to.

In regards to hardware, "off" is not always truly off. Devices that are hibernating can awaken and perform scheduled operations thereby using data that you may be unaware of.

Other potential areas of use are any and all cloud or "sync" services.

It is possible for the Hughes equipment to use data on its own under some rare conditions related to poor aim or failing equipment and there is a procedure to check to see if it is the cause of your data usage.

First we need to run what is known as a Modem Isolation Test.:

RackMultipart20151130-6485-1yyx8cx-datahog2_inline.jpg

You need to keep the Hughes Modem plugged into the AC during this test.

What you are being asked too do is to take a screeshot of your usage meter at a time of your choice, save the screenshot as well as the exact time and then disconnect the Ethernet LAN cable that runs between your router and the Hughes Modem LAN port.

This allows the Modem to remain in sync with the satellite and the Gateway but prevents anything on your network from connection and using data.

At a time of your choice (overnight?) reconnect the Ethernet cable, immediately take another screeshot of the status meter and compare the two. If more than a minor amount of usage occured then post the "shutdown" and "startup" screenshots here in the Community as well as the time of "disconnect" and "reconnect".

Leave the Modem powered up during this period so that it retains internal logs that the forum Mods can use to validate your issue.

Beyond that we can tag @Liz and ask her to run remote diagnostics on your systme to rule out excess usage due to re-transmission errors.

If both of the above come back negative we have to conclude the usage is due to something in your network.

Every bit and byte of data that is used by your devices  (this also includes data that can be used by the router itself) has to pass through the Router. That make the Router a prime measurement point if your Router has the capcity to track data usage and display that usage per time period, per device.

It is only in this way that you will have a true picture as too what is using data as a counterpoint to what Hughes is stating was used.

I have a Asus RT-AC3100 that provides very good usage details:

Defined period with per device usage:

Router 2 snip.PNG

Statistics for all devices and hours of occurance:

Router.PNG

Detailed usage report of a single device showing time period of usage as well a what program, application or process used the data:

Nook Usage.PNG

The first thing is to perform the Modem Isolation Test as outlined above and report the results.

cybercycle1
Junior

@yankee91 wrote:
Hello All 🙂
I'm courious to know if there is a specific way I can tell where all our data goes? We have 2 iPads & 2 iPhones. Each month our data is all used up by the 2-3 day of our cycle which I don't understand how. So I'm hoping to find a way to pin point where all our data goes & why so quickly. Thank you for any help. We have Gen 4 & a Belkin wifi router. We no longer have a computer just iPads n iPhones. Thank you for ANY INFORMATION you can give me. I'm almost to the point of canceling Hughes net! It just doesn't seem right to pay all this money for only a day or so then all data is gone.
Respectfully Theresa

Hi Theresa,

As an Apple user I can sympathize with your issue of evaporating data.  Since iOS devices do not have the same capabilities to run specialized network analysis programs like a Mac computer would give you, I can offer the following suggestions for adjusting your "settings" to minimize the data drain (I'll assume you know how to navigate your settings menu):

• turn off iCloud Drive
  • turn off Background App Refresh
  • Turn off Share iPhone & Watch Analytics
  • Set Advertising to Limit Ad Tracking
  • Under "iTunes & App Stores" turn off Automatic Downloads for any apps listed
  • If you use the "News" app, consider setting it to use Cellular Data only
  • For apps using iCloud, consider turning off Photos, Find My iPhone/iPad, and iCloud Backup (do this manually).  Note: Apple will daily upload data from your devices for many Apple supplied apps and Find My iPhone and iPad are especially heavy data transfers.  Also, the suggested settings will apply to your iPhones and iPads depending on which models and version of the iOS you are running.

I hope any or all of these suggestions help.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Thank you for your help!

Hi yankee91,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Glad to see fellow HughesNet subscribers step up to help you. We ran diagnostics on your site to make sure all is well on the HughesNet side and I'm concerned with your connection to the dish. Can you ensure that the coaxial cable is tighly secured on the back of your modem? Once you confirm that the connection is tightly screwed in, please post back to let me know so we can run new diagnostics.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@Liz

Thanks for running the diagnostics. That goes a long way in ruling out "this N that".

It's probably worth mentioning here as another "data drain" source.  The auto industry has advanced their media interfaces (e.g. MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch) to the extent that the latest versions allow for Wi-Fi updating.  If you have one of these systems, check the settings to make sure you either turn it off or select a time for the update to run during the Bonus Period.  On a recent automobile purchase, I found that the auto's system was set to use Wi-Fi for system updates as a default.  This is just another "hidden" drain on our bandwidth.

@cybercycle1 wrote:

It's probably worth mentioning here as another "data drain" source.  The auto industry has advanced their media interfaces (e.g. MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch) to the extent that the latest versions allow for Wi-Fi updating.  If you have one of these systems, check the settings to make sure you either turn it off or select a time for the update to run during the Bonus Period.  On a recent automobile purchase, I found that the auto's system was set to use Wi-Fi for system updates as a default.  This is just another "hidden" drain on our bandwidth.

You'd still have to manually connect your auto's WiFi with your router for it to use such for its system updates.  

@GabeU wrote:

@cybercycle1 wrote:

You'd still have to manually connect your auto's WiFi with your router for it to use such for its system updates.  

That's how I have mine set, but if the Wi-Fi is open (i.e. no firewall or network security password required...this is a possible configuration for Gen5), then the auto's system is designed to connect automatically.  So, if you are where your HN is located (home?), it will connect and start the download.  On my system, (2017 version of MyLincoln Touch) I programmed a "guest" access with password, and set the time for the Bonus Period.  Interestingly, the dealer prep'd the auto update feature set to be "on" for "anytime".  In this setting, the system is designed to continue the download even if you move the auto away from the initial Wi-Fi connection.  It will then continue the download update process as it finds another Wi-Fi where access is available.  Seems the motor companies are trying to take more control away from the car's operator! At least I still have the option to turn off auto update...I guess that's "progress"! Here is quote from the owner's manual that is most interesting:

"When Wi-Fi and automatic updates are enabled, your system checks for software updates periodically. If a new version is available, it downloads at that time. Software downloads can take place for up to 30 minutes after you have switched your vehicle off. The updates do not interrupt the normal use of your SYNC 3 system. If a download does not complete for any reason, the download continues where it left off at the next Wi-Fi connected opportunity. Upon activation of an update, a banner displays on the touchscreen indicating the system update. Select the icon to see more detail. This icon displays for two ignition cycles."

@cybercycle1

I see what you are saying.  I had forgotten that the guest network is set, by default, to not need a password.  I have my guest access turned off completely, but I now see what you mean.  

That the auto can scan for a network and connect automatically to one it finds without first requiring the owner to approve the access to that particular WiFi is a bit ridiculous and could be a pretty bad idea on the auto makers part.