cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my server located?

Where is my server located?

I am curious as to where exactly my terrestrial server is located.  I did read another thread about this, and it gave a website to check (http://www.whereisip.net/index.php), but it's not striking me as correct.

My (limited) understanding is that my signal beams up to a satellite, then beams down to a Hughesnet server, which then goes out into the world and fetches whatever site I want.

I need to know where that Hughesnet server is located.  And does it change?
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Where is my server located?

Gateways can be located all over the place.
The main NOC's (Network Operation Centers) are located in Germamtown MD and in Las Vegas.
It is said that other facilities are located in Brownsville TX.

Try this, open a web browser and go to Lowes.com and see what it picks as a "local store".

Do things change .... I am physically located in Michigan, usually A Washington DC  Lowes store is picked as local for me, indicating the Germantown NOC, other times its Arizona or Texas.

Edit:
With few exceptions, Hughes uses dynamic addressing.
You are also connected through a "shared" proxied Web Acceleration Server so you are sharing an IP address with goodness know how many other Hughes subscribers.  As stated, you have an "Dynamic IP" and therefor it will indeed change.
Assistant Professor

Yep, pretty sure they have gateway servers located all over the country with direct pipes from the two NOCs. The server location can change based on their load balancing scheme at any time.
Honorary Alumnus

Yup, rumored to be one in the area of Dearborn but that one may be tasked to Business grade accounts.

As to load balancing and switching ... look at this as being like a ballistic missile shot. From the silos in North Dakota to Moscow is not a matter of distance  so much as it is a function of angle.

A load or weather "balancing" from one NOC to another is  .... a matter of angle.

> Try this, open a web browser and go to Lowes.com and see what it picks as a "local

> store".

That doesn't work. It is apparently getting information that is more localized to myself.  If it was picking a Hugesnet server, the location would be more generalized.

For example, for wal-mart.com, it's picking our local store.  There is no way Hughesnet has a server there.  We're barely above using beavers to pound out messages, let alone huge tech companies setting up shop in the area.

I wonder if a traceroute will help....

Assistant Professor

This provides a lot of info if you do the query button: http://www.iplocation.net/
One more: 
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
Associate Professor

Just letting you guys know, Hughes has SEVERAL downlink locations all over the country.  Several beams are assigned specifically to each downlink location in a way that helps balance the typical load.

As far as going to lowes.com, that will NOT report the other end.  All that does is report the city the IP is registered to, which isn't a good thing because your IP could be registered in any city in the world but in fact isn't used there at all.

The only way to get an idea is to look at your IPGW on Gen4.  Also, the downlink location can't change, but the gateway it self can change.

As far as Hughes having seperate downlinks for different customer classes on Gen4, I have serious doubts for that.  I am willing to bet EVERYONE under Beam 31, and any other beam that says BIL on it comes down on the same satellite array in BIL, but our customer accounts are routed through different gateways (racks of servers) depending upon class.  Enterprise vs Gov vs Business vs Consumer.  Just way too much bandwidth on one beam for one of anything to handle it.  Plus this sort of helps balance out the infrastructure.  Makes sure the thousands of consumers aren't bogging down the land connectivity for Gov and Enterprise clients.

Then again, I could be very wrong about that last little paragraph.

Okay, this was helpful.

So now to the nuts and bolts.

I'm on Beam 43.  if I want to, say, hit Google, where is my connection going?

I say www.google.com, my computer beams that request to the satellite. The satellite beams the request down to <x>, and from there it goes to google.com, which then sends the relevant information to <x>, back up to the satellite, and back down to my computer.

How do I find out where <x> is?  Are there multiple <x>s?  Does <x> move around?  Does everything always route through MD regardless of where you are and where <x> is?

Associate Professor

X is your IPGW as is listed in the modem.  I have no idea what IPGW is assigned to beam 41, but you can find it at the system control center under the System Status...
http://i.gyazo.com/c72d77d15f93b55b3f6c5e66784906e0.png
As far as deciphering the 3 digit city code, good luck, I still haven't fully deciphered mine.

Hmm...Hughes certainly does make it difficult to figure out.

So the question remains: Does that IPGW ever change?  Or is it static?

And where does it go from there?  Is there one point in the line that is always stable?