cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my server located?

Associate Professor

Re: Where is my server located?

So aside from that landing point, is there some other HughesNetwork static point that it goes to before it goes out into the big blue internet?

For example:

I'm in (say) Seattle, WA.  I want to contact a site in Dallas, TX.

My signal leaves my computer from Seattle, hits the satellite, and beams back down to my assigned IPGW (wherever that is).  From the IPGW, does it go to Dallas?  Or is there an intermediate stop that Hughes imposes?  (I'm not talking about normal internet routing that would happen in any ISP.  I'm talking about hops that Hughsnet requires.)

To be more specific: I am attempting to find a server that is closest to the last (from me) or first (to me) Hughenet point that I am always required to use.

Assistant Professor

Sounds like you are wanting to know a static IP address. Not happening on HughesNet satellite. They use proxy servers and address is variable.
Associate Professor

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Where is my server located?.

I am curious as to where exactly my terrestrial server is located.  I
did read another thread about this, and it gave a website to check (http://www.whereisip.net/index.php), but it's not striking me as correct.

My
(limited) understanding is that my signal beams up to a satellite, then
beams down to a Hughesnet server, which then goes out into the world and fetches whatever site I want.

I need to know where that Hughesnet server is located.  And does it change?

Good morning Lighthope,

Thanks for posting, I'm glad to see our community regulars have jumped in to answer your questions; they are correct. Thank you Gwalk900, sgoshe, and Charles Scott!

I just wanted to re-iterate what sgoshe mentioned above, with our use of dynamic IP addressing and our Web Acceleration (proxy) servers, there's no way to pinpoint a single or even a small range of IPs your site regularly uses.

If you have additional questions, please let us know, we're happy to address them.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

> there's no way to pinpoint a single or even a small range of IPs your site regularly

> uses.

I wasn't asking for a single or range of IPs.  I was looking for geography, site, spot on Earth.

Unless you're saying that, once the signal beams down to Earth, it can be sent anywhere before the actual target website is accessed.  That would be remarkably inefficient, but if that's the way it's done...

Hello Lighthope,

The HughesNet network is designed with efficiency in mind, and that's one of the reasons why we have gateways in remote areas, less traffic with which to compete. Your example above is correct; to paraphrase: the user in Seattle visits a site in Dallas. Say Seattle is in beam 51, so the data will travel up to the satellite and down through the gateway assigned to that beam, say through the Billings, MT gateway. From the IP gateway in Billings, the Dallas site will be fetched and sent back up the satellite and down to Seattle. 

As Charles Scott pointed out, your IP gateway may change, but your main gateway remains the same.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

>  your main gateway remains the same.

And my main gateway is...?

(As I said previously, I'm on beam 43)

Looks like your gateway is in Rapid City, SD.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz