Where's the speed????

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoPa
New Poster

Where's the speed????

Wow, I was just activated a day ago and it is soooooo disappointing.  The salesman was so slick and had me check my speed with previous provider and 2 free speed checks showed barely over 5Mbps (with a 10Mbps contract).  Today that 5 is down to 2.8!!!!  9 times slower than I was told.  Sending a simple 2-sentence email takes 5sec.  Watching a video has to stop and load every 2-5min!!  This happens with my Netflix now, too.  I create online courses and this is destructive!!  The Hughesnet tech was courteous and spent over 15min with me, but there was no change.   Why should I be held liable ($600 to cancel after installation) for a contract when the provider doesn't provide???

Am I the only one with this problem??  PLEASE give me back my old 5Mbps 😞  

Is there any Hughesnet personnel that can help me???

12 REPLIES 12
wessel288
New Poster

**bleep** No Hughes will not help you with this issue of no speed.  For months now I have done a speed check through the provider they show to use and my upload speed is in the group that is 2% the slowest in the country.  Download speed is not good, but tolerable.  I had a report send to Hughes last week for this issue and as of 6 days later, no response.  They never respond.  The only help in the future is to run this **bleep** until the end of your contract and then cancel them and go with another provider; which is what i plan to do in less than 1 year remaining.  Hughes is the WORST internet provider I have ever used and have used 4 others in the past.  Suck it up buttercup, and put your big boy pants on.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wessel288

First and foremost, please refrain from using foul language.  Not only is it disrespectful to your fellow HughesNet subscribers who utilize this support community, it is also against the Community Guidelines, which you can read through in the "About the Community" section.

Regarding your speed issue, if you would like to have it addressed, please start a new topic in this same section (Tech Support) in order to keep your issue separate from others and receive individual support.    

GabeU

@GeoPa

The normal procedure for addressing speed issues is to run a few speed tests in a specific way, but before getting to that step I have a few questions.

1.  When you go to this page, are both boxes on the top of the page green? 

2.  In the System Summary box, do you see anything listed for a State Code (other than 0.0.0)?  If so, what is it? 

3.  In the WAN Info box, what is showing for your Satellite Receive Signal Strength?

4.  Lastly, do you have a device with which you can connect with a LAN cable?  Like a desktop or a laptop with and Ethernet port?  The reason for this question is that the speed tests need to be run with a LAN cable connected device in order to rule out any issues with WiFi.  

The normal procedure for addressing speed issues is to run a few speed tests in a specific way, but before getting to that step I have a few questions.

1.  When you go to this page, are both boxes on the top of the page green? 

both green

2.  In the System Summary box, do you see anything listed for a State Code (other than 0.0.0)?  If so, what is it? 

3.  In the WAN Info box, what is showing for your Satellite Receive Signal Strength?

4.  Lastly, do you have a device with which you can connect with a LAN cable?  Like a desktop or a laptop with and Ethernet port?  The reason for this question is that the speed tests need to be run with a LAN cable connected device in order to rule out any issues with WiFi.  yes, that's our primary desktop with HT2000W connected.Currently I just checked and I got 20.6Mbps download and 3.48Mbps upload (MUCH better than yesterday) using M-lab online.  That sounds great, but why does it still take an average of 10sec for a new page to open??  Maybe it was the cloudy day??  

@GeoPa wrote:
That sounds great, but why does it still take an average of 10sec for a new page to open??  Maybe it was the cloudy day??  

Each hit takes around 1/2 second because of the distance traversed before you actually hit the internet. Your hit request goes to the satellite, down to a groundstation, then out to the internet. The response then takes the revese route. Each widget and image that a website uses is another hit. 20 images or widgets no matter how small is all it takes to make it take 10 seconds.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The speed tests that Hughesnet accepts need to come from Testmy.net.  You can create a free account there and begin running speed tests. They are kept there under your account, so the Hughesnet people can spot trends and issues.

Latency is what makes pages load slowly.  Latency is unavoidable with satellite internet.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@GeoPa wrote:

I just checked and I got 20.6Mbps download and 3.48Mbps upload (MUCH better than yesterday) using M-lab online.  That sounds great, but why does it still take an average of 10sec for a new page to open??  Maybe it was the cloudy day??  

GabeU

@GeoPa

If your speeds are decent but web pages are taking a long time to open, you can try power cycling your HughesNet modem to see if it makes a difference, but as Mark mentioned, web pages can often take a while to open, regardless of the overall service speed.  I just tried going to Yahoo (I tried thinking of a popular site that I normally don't go to), and it took 12 seconds for the page to even start to open, yet my speeds are very good.    

By power cycling your HughesNet modem I mean unplugging it at the wall outlet or power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), waiting for at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.  Then wait for about five minutes for it to be fully back up (it takes a few minutes to check its software) and then try again.  Doing this can sometimes fix a few different issue, but not always.  I also sometimes power cycle everything if I'm having a problem, and in the order of turning off the computer, then unplugging the modem, waiting at least 30 seconds, then plugging the modem back in, waiting for about five minutes, then turning the computer back on.  This can often fix a few more things, like bad DNS entries.  

As well, some site servers seem to be a little more sensitive to satellite internet's higher latency, causing them to take a little longer to "respond".  Also, some servers seem to overly sensitive to something about satellite internet when downloading files, causing them to take a very long time compared to what it would normally take.  Apple's servers often don't seem to like HughesNet very much.  Microsoft's, once in a while, as well.  

When it comes to streaming videos, if they are in HD you'll probably need to turn off, or pause, the Video Data Saver. or you'll experience a lot of buffering.  You shouldn't need to while streaming in SD or LD, but sometimes it can help SD streaming, as well.  By HD, SD and LD I mean High, Standard and Low Definition.  Keep in mind, though, that streaming in HD uses a lot of data.  

One last thing.  With HughesNet's throughput being considerably smaller than ground based services, it's not at all unusual to see speeds reduce during peak usage periods (when more peopler are online), which are normally in the mornings and evenings.  

OK, I've tried all these...several times.  The result is always the same.  

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! 

We cannot view movies without constant interuptions (I counted over 30 reloads in one hour last night).

I have to walk away and wait hours for my video creations for my online classes to be uploaded, and even then some are timed out.

My wife's business is suffering from the same thing.

Do you have any other suggestions before we opt out?

Hi GeoPa, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thanks for posting, we certainly want to address your concerns. Your overall beam is slated to see improvements in performance in the coming 30 days, according to our engineers here at corporate. In the meantime, I've also made some adjustments to your modem to see if we can temporarily boost performance. Let me know if you notice any difference.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Rntoolbox
Spectator

I don’t think you’re the only one with the problem. I had mine installed last week. The installation guy was very cordial. The problem is the internet speed is unusable. The main page for google alone takes a minute to load.

I’m canceling. I’m sure I’m not gonna get the money I paid. Taking my losses now before it gets worse.
maratsade

This is a tech support site, not social media, and each person's issue is different, and is addressed individually by the mods and other users. If you need tech support or account support, create your own topic on the Tech Support page or the myAccount and Billing page and clearly state your issues so the mods can give you individualised attentnion. 

If you want to cancel, you can only do it by calling the customer service number.  You will have an early termination fee of $400  (see http://legal.hughes.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm)

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Rntoolbox wrote:
I don’t think you’re the only one with the problem. I had mine installed last week. The installation guy was very cordial. The problem is the internet speed is unusable. The main page for google alone takes a minute to load.

I’m canceling. I’m sure I’m not gonna get the money I paid. Taking my losses now before it gets worse.