Hughesnet Community

Which Games Work Best Over Satellite Internet?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Which Games Work Best Over Satellite Internet?

Interesting article on Gaming over Brand Ex:

http://www.exede.com/blog/one-mans-quest-see-video-games-work-best-exede/

I would assume that similar results would be had on HughesNet Gen4 Jupiter, but it would be great if one of our online gamers could produce a similar evaluation and summary?

I'm not an online gamer (if I had the time), or else I would start one (if I had the time).
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
15 REPLIES 15
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

All I can say is this, games like CoD, and pretty much every first person shooter, isn't playable, in the least...  Aside from that, Diablo III and SC2 are both playable for me.
Liz

If I had more time, I wouldn't mind installing Steam on one of our PCs and testing various games. 🙂

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Give meh steam games~~! Q.Q I am poor~! XD

Garrys Mod = no go at all, what, so, ever.

Borderlands = semi-possible, maybe in the middle of the night?, tried with a fried, he eventually killed the game because I was lagging hard enough that it lagged him, on his own computer, in his own game...

Portal 2? LOL NOPE

Don't Starve Together Beta = I played it, need patience, and need a server operator that is understanding of your delays...  Jitter will make the game impossible to play though.

Diablo III = Playable, just don't try it during the absolute peak of prime-time...  Been playing it for a few years now, once you get used to the delay, if it's a consistent delay (again, jitter is a pita), it's very easy to game on.

Diablo II = Nope - while the game was wrote with dialup in mind, Blizzard has neglected those old servers, and Jitter takes a MASSIVE toll on the game, rubberyness is... every... other... every...oth... every other... step. 🙂

Starcraft II = Playable, haven't tried matched games, as I don't want to even attempt it, but against 4AI, the game can start to show some serious lag.

Command and Conquer 4: No one online to play against (dead online game..), but I can at least log into chat and play solo?

Starcraft Brood War: Playable, all players must set network connection to "Maximum Latency" which will decrease lag spikes, and decrease the times you see the "Drop Player" window.
Amanda

We know from experience in complaints when Sony's servers went down that users can play Destiny. I'll be downloading League of Legends on the computer in the office today for...research purposes...

-Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'll be downloading League of Legends on the computer in the office today for...research purposes...
Brandon

Seems like an honest guy. but it should be noted that in his battlefront video, he said he gets paid by exede to review the games

Only part of the article i didn't like was near the end when he threw in the notion that latency on exede is better than some dsl services, which is false and misleading. Only way satellite has better latency is if the dsl connection is experiencing ridiculous congestion.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Seems like an honest guy. but it should be noted that in his battlefront video, he said he gets paid by exede to review the games
Nice Job! Where do I sign up? 🙂
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Good point. Another reason why it would be great if we have our own, independent research here.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Opinion piece.....advertisement maybe?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Wouldn't we have to include the system type ? There is after all some considerable performance differences between Spaceway and Jupiter systems.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Plus it still gets back to how an individual's connection is performing at any given point in time. We all know satellite connections can vary greatly even over an hour's time when it comes to speed and latency. Gateway loading and even internet loading play a bigger part on satellite than on already speedy cable where a small slowdown goes unnoticed. Upload speed and latency also plays into it greatly when talking games.
Brandon

Another HUGE factor to consider is if you are playing on pc or console. The netcoding for consoles and pc is different. Meaning the results of the same game being played on pc and console could be different. in my experience, gaming on pc with satellite has been a heck of a lot better than on PlayStation or xbox
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Online Console gaming came to the online community a bit late...  Stands to reason, that PC games would be more adaptable, especially older ones, when it comes to latency/jitter.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I have steam installed, though the only games I have installed are Half-Life 2 and it's two further episodes.  Those, though, only require the internet to update them and start them, not to play them.