cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why The Change from testmy.net to speedtest.net?

monicakm
Senior

Why The Change from testmy.net to speedtest.net?

I registered with speedtest and ran two tests.  Both were 45+ Mbps down and .75Mbps up Smiley Surprised  Why the change?  How many MB does the download speed test use?  We had a choice on testmy and were advised to use the 25MB test.  But I have no idea how much data I'm wasting with speedtest.net and see no way to choose.  What was wrong with testmy?

2 REPLIES 2
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Why The Change from testmy.net to speedtest.net?

I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with Testmy or whether it's still wrong.  Speedtest is completely unreliable in my case, so I don't use it. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why The Change from testmy.net to speedtest.net?

@monicakm

Something is (or at least was) going on with testmy over recent weeks that has been skewing test results, and sometimes considerably.  I don't know whether the fault of the issue was with Hughes or testmy, but something clearly changed that made the results unacceptable.  With this said, it seems that the problem may, in fact, be resolved, as testmy seems to be performing the tests properly again, though that's only my opinion.  

As for speedtest, it's really dependant on the speed you're getting, as in the higher your speed the more data it's going to use, but it seems to be a lot.  

I started a thread concerning this very issue... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Speedtest-net-A-Heads-Up/m-p/93357#M65253

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro