Hughesnet Community

Why am I getting dial up speeds ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhaneraz

Why am I getting dial up speeds ?

I have not had internet this slow since I had dial up.  I feel like I have been lied to by everyone connected with Hughes right down to the person who installed the dish.  With Verizon I had fast speeds and a nice tiny antenna on the side of my house.  I now have a giant dish on the front of my house (not even the roof) and get slow speeds and sometimes no internet at all.  Called service and got someone in Asia who was impossible to understand.  
7 REPLIES 7
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Open the modems SCC by entering 192.168.0.1

Are both of the icons (marked as #1 & #2) both green ?

(click on the picture for larger image)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Why did you switch if happy with Verizon?
James E Besser

the Grass isn't always Greener on the other side, They have pictures of the hughesnet dish on line.why did you switch.
kdavisbrown

I'd like to know if anyone is happy with HughesNet. I am unable to get Verizon and I'm not sure if there is an alternative to HN for my area. The Internet has been so very slow lately but I wonder is it HN or could it be something I could correct. Just wondering if anyone feels that they get the best service with HN. 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Overall I'm pleased with my service. I usually get 18-20 Mbps speeds on my 15 Mbps rated plan.

Lack of speed can be caused by many things. To name a few:

Weather at the users location

Weather at the users assigned Gateway

Failing Modem/ODU

Improperly configured Router

Alignment issues

Too many devices simultaneously connected

Unknown/unseen background processes draining available bandwidth

User network adaptor misconfigured

Overcrowded Beam/Gateway

I suggest you do the following:

Post a case number or the serial number of your modem (found on a sticker bottom/rear) so that the Mods can find your account details.

Connect a single computer directly to the Hughes modem during this early testing phase.

Go to http://testmy.net/download

Register and then log in:

Perform a series of MANUAL download speed tests, 12 MB in size:

Post either a link to your save results or a screenshot of same.

The Mods can then run remote diagnostics on your system and review your speed test results.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

kdavisbrown,

I'm very happy with my Hughesnet service, and like Gwalk900, I often get download speeds of around 20Mbps, and I'm on one of the "up To 10Mbps" plans.  Those tests Gwalk900 outlined can help the Official Reps to determine what's going on and how to address the issue.   

Amanda

Hello jhaneraz,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. Like everyone else here, we are wondering why you switched from Verizon who it sounds like you were happy with, to satellite internet? Also, if it has not been to long, we should be able to review your sales call. Please provide a recent case number or the serial number of your modem so we can look you up.

Thanks
Amanda