Why do i keep loosing my connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FirePolice69
New Poster

Why do i keep loosing my connection

I keep loosing my connection on my HT2000W modem and i just had it installed on Monday 05/08/2017 i keep getting cut off of my netflix speed test from within hughes net seams ok if i check it with other speed test its a whole new ball game.

This is what i got.

BIST Results
IDU VDCPassed
Cable ConnectivityPassed
Key CheckPassed
LANPassed
ODU VDCFailed
Software SignaturePassed

Terminal/Gateway Connectivity Test

Connectivity Test in progress... 100%

IP GatewayJ2NLV052HNSIGW0104
Packet Loss0%
Average Delay604 ms
Minimum Delay570 ms
Maximum Delay650 ms

You have good connectivity to the gateway.

DOWNLOAD SPEED: 44.14 Mbps
UPLOAD SPEED: 3.97 Mbps

19 REPLIES 19
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi FirePolice69, no idea idea if related at all to your problem but networking, especially local WiFi, can be very fickle. Please look at this post: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/SOLVED-Gen-5-Not-Connecting-to-Certain-Websites/td-p...

Seems the new gateway 2000W modem is causing some people problems under certain conditions.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you are failing the ODU VDC test then you will have issues with connectivity for certain.

Things that can cause ODU VDC to fail...

- Bad Power Brick
- Bad or lose Coaxial cables - can be as simple as tightening a connection, or replacing the cable due to a break mid-way.
- Bad Outdoor Unit

Will be Monday at the soonest before a Rep from here looks at things, but chances are they will have to send a technician out to evaulate the equipment.  When they do, it will be free of charge.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Duh, I totally looked right past the ODU VDC failure. Smiley Embarassed

FirePolice69
New Poster

I talked to tech support they fixed that one issue but it didnt help me any i tried the one suggestion that was posted here for me and nothing helped i have no 5g connection just 2g that keeps dropping but because everything on tech support side of things is ok they wont do anything else so i guess im stuck paying 2 years for internet that i may never get to use

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Don't give up yet.... Perhaps @Liz or @Amanda can get involved and help you figure out what's going on.

I really hope either one of them can I just talked to tech support again the act like im lying or something IMG_20170515_221211.jpg

Can you see how my 5g is not lit up at all with signal but my 2g is the modem is behind this tv here

IMG_20170515_222732.jpg

Now from the computer you can see a signal for 5g which is upstairs in bedroom and you see computer connected to 2g

IMG_20170515_222824.jpg

now you see i tried connecting computer to 5g and no connection 

IMG_20170515_223055bbgtest.jpg

Finally with computer on 2g i get knocked off every 3 to 10 minutes this is what will show up

maratsade

There's only 2 of them and I'm sure they're buried in stuff.... in the meantime, I wonder if @Gwalk900, @BirdDog, @GabeU, or @C0RR0SIVE might be able to offer some insights...

ETA:  Also, since this is such a new install, can you call your installer and have him come back to look at the problem?  It might have something to do with the actual installation.

I did try calling the installer but he wont come out unless he has an order from hughes to do so so it looks like i am gonna have to go to a friends house whenever i need to use internet till they get this figured out if they ever do

Hi Firepolice69

I apologize for taking so long to respond to you. I will be running diagnostics right now and making an order for a technician visit if needed. Meanwhile, can you confirm there was no bad weather in your area since this started?

Thank you

Amanda

Hello and thanks for replying There was no bad weather at all its was sunny and calm. I been having problems soince day one when it was installed which was May 8th When tech support runs there diagnostic they say everything is fine at there end i think its either a bad modem something outside from the installation or since the modem is directly behind the one tv maybe interferience which i cannot see if its that cause i have no slack on the cable to be able to move it anywhere

ok zte max pro phone sees 5g without a signal downstairs upstairs it sees 5g with 3 bars signal but cant connect to 5g tv downstairs wont connect to 5g sees 5g but without a signal. tablet same deal direct tv box same deal nothing will connect to 5g computer will not connect to 5g but will connect to 2g and be cut off every 3 to 5 minutes which is running on windows 10 a Dell. i brought a friends HP Laptop over to see if it would work and same deal the tablet is on android 5 and the phone on android 6.01

GabeU

@FirePolice69

This isn't regarding your problem, but only something you mentioned, and that's that you were trying to connect to a DirecTV receiver.  Be VERY careful if you are going to connect to a DirecTV receiver, as there is no way to control the data they use and they use it for more than just on demand.  And turning off power on such a device doesn't really turn it off, it just puts it in standby mode, allowing it to still be connected to your WiFi and still use data.  Connecting Hughesnet (or any ISP with a data cap) to such a device is usually recommended against for this reason.    

Edit:  In addtion, if you have not previously had the DirecTV receiver connected to WiFi, you'll notice that, when you do, a few things change on it.  And even if you later reset the network on the device to disconnect it from the WiFi, it will annoy you with constant reconnection recommendations.  It also causes it to try to connect to the internet when you do searches, and, strangely enough, will continue to even after a network reset.  I learned this the hard way after just trying on demand to see what it was like after upgrading to Gen5.  The only way I could get things back to normal was to do a complete factory reset, losing everything on the DVR and losing all of my settings.  It's something I try to warn other people about before they take that leap.    

This second paragraph is only my personal warning about the DirecTV receiver (mine's a Genie).  

Was wondering would the cable that comcast uses in there hookups be the same for hughesnet. I still havent gotton anywhere and was thinking of moving the modem upstairs to see if the would work but i would have to reroute another cable line and alls i have is comcast cable wire

I also came across a website dnscheck.pingdom.com which is supposed to check if the dns is configured properly It did find what it called one warning and what it called one error

were found!

Basic View
Advanced View

hughesnet.com

2017-05-20 20:19:20

Delegation

Everything is fine.

All tests successful in this part, no errors or warnings.

Nameserver

ns1.hns.com.

Everything is fine.

ns2.hns.com.

Everything is fine.

ns5.echostar.com.

Reverse for 139.85.4.15 points to an unknown host name (chipzifb.sats.dmz).

The PTR record for the address points to an unknown host name.

Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) does not answer queries over TCP.

The name server failed to answer queries sent over TCP. This is probably due to the name server not correctly set up or due to misconfgured filtering in a firewall. It is a rather common misconception that DNS does not need TCP unless they provide zone transfers - perhaps the name server administrator is not aware that TCP usually is a requirement.

Consistency

Everything is fine.

SOA

Everything is fine.

Connectivity

Everything is fine.

DNSSEC

Everything is fine.

Dont know if my issues are there or not

Here is the results from another site dnscheck.ripe.net

Delegation
Nameserver
  • Nameserver ns1.hns.com

• Could not find reverse address for 69.35.42.41 (41.42.35.69.in-addr.arpa.).

• Nameserver ns2.hns.com

• Could not find reverse address for 69.35.42.42 (42.42.35.69.in-addr.arpa.).

• Nameserver ns5.echostar.com

• Reverse for 139.85.4.15 points to an unknown host name (chipzifb.sats.dmz).

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) does not answer queries over TCP.

Consistency
SOA

Connectivity
DNSSEC

Link to this test:
http://dnscheck.ripe.net/?time=1495305671&id=18938783&view=basic&test=standard

an advance test brought up a few errors

• Begin testing delegation for hughesnet.com.

• Name servers listed at parent: ns1.hns.com,ns2.hns.com,ns5.echostar.com

• Name servers listed at child: ns1.hns.com,ns2.hns.com,ns5.echostar.com

• No IPv6 name servers found.

• Parent glue for hughesnet.com found: ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41)

• Parent glue for hughesnet.com found: ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42)

• Parent glue for hughesnet.com found: ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15)

• Checking glue for ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41).

• Checking glue for ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42).

• Checking glue for ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15).

• Parent glue for hughesnet.com found: ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41)

• Parent glue for hughesnet.com found: ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42)

• Parent glue for hughesnet.com found: ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15)

• It is possible to build a referral packet for hughesnet.com that works without EDNS0.

• Previously used name servers for hughesnet.com:

• Done testing delegation for hughesnet.com.

Nameserver
  • Nameserver ns1.hns.com

• Begin testing name server ns1.hns.com.

• Begin testing host ns1.hns.com.

• Begin testing address 69.35.42.41.

• Done testing address 69.35.42.41.

• Done testing host ns1.hns.com.

• Name server ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41) answers queries over UDP.

• Name server ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41) answers queries over TCP.

• Name server ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41) is not recursive.

• Name server ns1.hns.com (69.35.42.41) authoritative for hughesnet.com.

• Done testing name server ns1.hns.com.

• Nameserver ns2.hns.com

• Begin testing name server ns2.hns.com.

• Begin testing host ns2.hns.com.

• Begin testing address 69.35.42.42.

• Could not find reverse address for 69.35.42.42 (42.42.35.69.in-addr.arpa.).

• Done testing address 69.35.42.42.

• Done testing host ns2.hns.com.

• Name server ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42) answers queries over UDP.

• Name server ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42) answers queries over TCP.

• Name server ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42) is not recursive.

• Name server ns2.hns.com (69.35.42.42) authoritative for hughesnet.com.

• Done testing name server ns2.hns.com.

• Nameserver ns5.echostar.com

• Begin testing name server ns5.echostar.com.

• Begin testing host ns5.echostar.com.

• Begin testing address 139.85.4.15.

• Reverse for 139.85.4.15 points to an unknown host name (chipzifb.sats.dmz).

• Done testing address 139.85.4.15.

• Done testing host ns5.echostar.com.

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) answers queries over UDP.

• DNS lookup error (connection failed).

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) does not answer queries over TCP.

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) is not recursive.

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) authoritative for hughesnet.com.

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) not checked for zone transfer of hughesnet.com.

• Name server ns5.echostar.com (139.85.4.15) not checked for legacy name server ID.

• Done testing name server ns5.echostar.com.

Consistency
  • Begin testing zone consistency for hughesnet.com.

• SOA at address 69.35.42.41 has serial 776.

• SOA at address 69.35.42.42 has serial 776.

• SOA at address 139.85.4.15 has serial 776.

• All SOA records have consistent serial numbers.

• All other fields in the SOA record are consistent among all name servers.

• The listed nameservers for hughesnet.com all report the same set of nameservers.

• Done testing zone consistency for hughesnet.com.

SOA
  • Begin testing SOA parameters for hughesnet.com.

• Found SOA record for hughesnet.com.

• Begin testing host ns1.hns.com.

• Begin testing address 69.35.42.41.

• Done testing address 69.35.42.41.

• Done testing host ns1.hns.com.

• SOA MNAME for hughesnet.com valid (ns1.hns.com).

• SOA MNAME for hughesnet.com (ns1.hns.com) listed as NS.

• SOA MNAME for hughesnet.com (ns1.hns.com) is authoritative.

• Successful attempt to deliver email for SOA RNAME of hughesnet.com (no_email.hughes.com) using no_email@hughes.com.

• SOA TTL for hughesnet.com too small (1800) - recommended >= 3600.

• SOA refresh for hughesnet.com OK (86400) - recommended >= 14400.

• SOA retry for hughesnet.com OK (14400) - recommended >= 3600.

• SOA expire for hughesnet.com too small (432000) - recommended >= 604800.

• SOA expire for hughesnet.com lower than refresh.

• SOA minimum for hughesnet.com too large (302400) - recommended <= 86400.

• Done testing SOA parameters for hughesnet.com.

Connectivity
DNSSEC
  • Begin testing DNSSEC for hughesnet.com.

• Did not find DS record for hughesnet.com at parent.

• Servers for hughesnet.com have consistent extra processing status.

• Authenticated denial records not found for hughesnet.com.

• Did not find DNSKEY record for hughesnet.com at child.

• No DNSKEY(s) found at child, other tests skipped.

• Done testing DNSSEC for hughesnet.com.

Link to this test:

Firepolice69

Thanks for waiting (if you were Smiley Happy

I ran some initial diagnostics and don't see anything wrong with your HughesNet equipment. Since it seems mostly related to 2Ghz and 5Ghz connectivity, it would help to know a bit more in that area.  Can you list the devices that are losing the connection, or not seeing the 5Ghz band? If you can also put what version of operating system or mobile operating system they are running, that would be helpful too.

Thank you for your cooperation on this

Amanda

loucksgl61

I have had Hughes for years and have never experienced anything like this ever.  It started just a month and a half ago and that is coinciding with the complaints from other Hughes users.  I suspect they have done some alteration with "their" equipment or have made some adjustment on the sattellite or such.  All of a sudden one day, and I wrote the date down, I started to lose internet capabilities.  A test of the connectivity showed limited conductivity and when checked five minutes later it showed good connectivity, then bad again a minute after that.  I called tech dept at Hughes and the did their regular tests and told me there were storms in Utah.  What!  I live in Tennessee.  Utah is where my gateway to the internet is located.  OK.  I've had this trouble for over a month and I doubt Utah has had storms every minute of every day and night for a month and a half.  They rebooted the modem four times, 4 different techs and the call was dropped because I have the Hughs phone service.  I told them that.  I have 8 calls in to them and they won't admit it but they can't fix this issue.  Its all about the weather they are telling me.  The weather is beautiful here and I checked and its beautiful in Utah.  So now what?  They gave me a deal on the newest modem at a discounted price.  What the heck.  I took it with the understanding that if this issue still exists I am dropping them and getting Verizon 4G

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@loucksgl61

You may be best to create a new topic for your issue if you haven't already.  If you are in fact on SLC, there was a performance issue on it the other day that should have been corrected.  If you haven't please reboot your modem and see how things go.