cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do sales people seem to be not very knowledgeable

Why do sales people seem to be not very knowledgeable

When I first called to inquire about this service, I asked the rep if it would work for games like Final Fantasy 14 and world of warcraft type games. He said he didn't know and would ask his supervisor, upon returning he told me yes I wouldn't have any problems using it for that, I ask are you sure I at the time i have about a 128 in latency, yes he told me it's story based so you wont have any problems. Of course he left out the part where i my ping would be 600+ about 5 times worse than what I already had, if i had that information instead of sure it will be no problem using it for that, I never would of had it installed so my question is anyway to reduce that ping or am i just stuck with this for duration of the contract.
14 REPLIES 14
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Why do sales people seem to be not very knowledgeable

I have to ask ...

You have to know that a satellite based system is going to use ..... a satellite, a geo sync satellite and those are in orbits at a distance of roughly 22,300 miles.

Every school child is made aware of the speed of light.

Why then is it so surprising that your ping would increase.

I mean .... doesn't common sense enter into this at some point ?

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

"Why make things so complicated?"

Because I have extra pixals, that why.

Assistant Professor

Uneducated does not mean dumb.  Smiley Tongue

This country is doomed when it comes to basic education and logical thought processes IMO. 
Distinguished Professor IV

Why didn't you just tell him he can reduce the latency by moving closer to the satellite or pulling the satellite closer to him!

That's hilarious!  Too funny. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

Just going to say this now... WoW works on Hughesnet, as does Diablo III, and SC2.  While it may not be as responsive as on land based internet, if Hughesnet is the only option, then it works.  If you have a land-based ISP, you might want to cancel service and go back to your land based ISP.

So IMO, the sales agent didn't lie, it will work, and is playable, it's getting accustomed to the half second or so delay that is present that is tricky.

What will suck is, at times, due to network congestion, your latency can skyrocket, making the game virtually impossible to play.  Nothing you can do to decrease the latency on a satellite service, at all.

Hi Redseal,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. We really recommend utilizing our FAQs and the game developer website for more information related to types of games that are supported on satellite internet. Generally, games where an internet connection is required for single player content will work, but the player vs player or cooperative portions may not. Here is the HughesNet FAQs http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/faq/gaming

Thanks
Amanda

normally I'm quite reserved in what I say, but just from the comments, pretty well deserved so no never had to use a satellite, always lived in a city. yeah I'm so uneducated that I able to quit working at 18 and live off of stock dividends, so yeah enjoy your days of work.

yeah i agree it does work but had he mentioned there would be a delay, I probably wouldn't have had it installed, never had to use one so why would it occur to me that there would be a delay but oh well thanks
Sophomore

Having played WoW using satellite internet for seven years, let me say that it is indeed playable.  You won't be a Mythic raider, but you can play.  You'll have to learn to anticipate damage and healing rather than reacting to it, you will have to live with having 700 ping time at the very best, but it is quite playable.

What makes it hard is when congestion zooms the ping time to 1200, 1500, 1800.  This is a Hughesnet problem and they really should work on it.  There's no excuse for it.